I lost all but one of my COM ports, now I can't talk to one of my bluetooth device.

After the recent update took place, I've lost all the COM ports on my laptop but one. Device manager only shows one bluetooth COM port (COM port 3). Previous to update, I had all the COM ports, to COM port 14. I used several of these COM ports to connect with bluetooth controlled devices that I use for my research. I used realTerm serial TCP terminal to do that, and all the COM ports would get shown up on the terminal. Now I only see COM 3, nothing else.

Hi Trimeric,

Open "Device Manager"
Select menu "Action" -> "Add legacy hardware", then Click "Next"
Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)" -> then click "Next"
Scroll down, then select "Ports (COM & LPT)", then click "Next"
Select "Manufacturer" as your need, (in this case, I'm selecting standard type or default option) then click "Next"
Finish!

Let me know, please. kinds Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Douglas, thanks for the head start on this issue.  But, something major is missing.  I've been fighting this issue for the last three days.  I even lost my image and drives.  Now with a new system reboot, I have two mirror systems.  One very bad and the other somewhat workable.  I tried your method two days ago and yes I can generate a new Comm Port.  But! Windows looks at it as failed hardware that isn't connected.  I've finally got back my USB drives; however, I've tried loading a "new" software program with lots of big money behind it.  It continues to fail.  I have removed it from the system several times.  Oh, back to the system failure.  The new drive (better said echo drive) has all of my data and software programs.

Back to the Comm Port and failures.  It all started with a Windows update around Friday (March 15, 2019) or the morning of Saturday the 16th.  I wasted my restore points and thought I was going to have to rebuild my entire system - any ideas will help.  Oh, I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.17763 Build 17763.  Thanks. LCW

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the 'Add legacy hardware' approach, it didn't work. The device manager showed new com ports being created, but they were not working, and upon looking at the properties of the newly created ports, it said windows don't know the settings for these newly created ports.

I reverted back to the previous build of Windows 10. This brought back all my com ports and I have been using them as before. This is an intermediary fix, I know, but I am pressed for time and that was a quick fix.

Thanks again for your reply, please let me know if you know some other way of handling the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The last option to me is: " The device requires manual configuration. See the hardware documentation or contact the hardware vendor for instructions on manually configuring the device. After you configure the device itself, you can use the Resources tab in Device Manager to configure the resource settings in Windows"

More details here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2022 Views 521 Applies to: