Headphone jacket no sound after upgrade to windows 10 - Solved! (but there is another issue)

Hi guys, I believe many of you have the same problem and I saw a lot of similar questions in this forum -- the headphone jacket has no sound but the laptop's internal speakers do, all drivers are latest and audio software can recognize the headphone has been plugged in, it just silent.

I find a solution for this problem, my audio codec is a onboard Realtek ALC892. If you have a different codec you can also try this using a proper driver.

First, let me explain what cause this problem. It seems windows 10 will automatically download and update the latest drivers for you, but some drivers may not works very well. So we need to replace that new driver with a old working one. I suggest to use the driver comes from your laptop/desktop's manufacturer, probably in a disc. Or you can download and try any old driver which works in your previous win8/win7. In my case I'm using Realtek audio driver 6.0.1.7363 download from manufacturer's website.

Next step, right click on start button, chooseSystem (you can also find it through Control panel), clickAdvanced system settings on the left, in the Hardware tab, clickDevice Installation Settings, and choose like this:

Save Changes. Now we turn that automatic installing off.

Then, right click on start button, click Device manager. Find your audio output devices. In my case there are two, sitting in here:

Your audio device's name could be different, it depends on your audio codec provider (sometime it sits in the Software devices, which is wired). We are going to change these two ONLY.

Now right click these devices, click Uninstall. If a window popups and asking something like: do you want to uninstall the software for this device as well? tick that option and click yes.

Now here is the key point, do not restart your computer after uninstalling drivers. Once I restart it and fail to solve the problem. Go ahead open the old driver which you prepared earlier and install it. Probably need to restart after installing it, then you should get your sound back.

Vola! I solved this problem on my laptop. But then a weird thing came up... Every time I close my laptop's lid (which means put it into sleep). Then I open it, my sound is gone! I didn't do anything except closing the lid! So I have no sound from my headphone jacket again until I restart windows. Does anyone has the same issue? I hope a Microsoft technical staff could see this and tell me what's going on because its really weird (windows put every device into sleep and fail to wake headphone jacket up maybe?)

How do you know your audio codec ? 

You can check your computer's specifications, google the audio codec of your model, but it doesn't matter.

Usually, you can just go to your computer's manufacturer website, check support for drivers, or just search drivers. They will provide all drivers for you. That driver should be named same as codec provider, then go to the Device Manager, find your audio device with the same name, uninstall the current one, install the driver you've downloaded, done.

I had same problem, and finally i found out that the problem occurs when I played the audio file in One Drive. 

I remove & reinstall the drive, and don't play audio file in One Drive anymore. Problem has gone, strange!

worked well kinda now i have sound coming out of both headset and speakers at the same time. any idea how to fix that 

Hi,         Unplug Headphones before restart....

Re your last paragraph. "The other issue".

I discovered yesterday that if I unplug my headphones at shutdown and replug them only after Win10 has restarted fully, then my headphones work correctly.

If I leave the headphones plugged in then the headphones will produce no sound after restart.  

Hope this help you or others.

Cheers

John

Copied below is from my post elsewhere on a thread titled "Windows 10  Realtek HD Audio and Headphone jack not working". I.e. here follows the detailed version of the above....

"Headphones issue - Very Simple Solution

Finally I have a Very Simple Solution to my Headphones not working....Unplug Headphones before shutting down computer. Re plug only when Windows 10 has finished starting up.

Today my headphones stopped working after I put my Laptop into sleep mode with the headphones still plugged in. When I restarted my laptop with the headphones still plugged in they no longer worked.

I checked all the obvious setting and nothing sound related had changed in Device Manager. I then did the following steps:-

1     Unplug the headphone jack plug with the computer still running.

2     Shut the computer down (total shutdown).

3     Restart the computer

4     Wait for Windows to finish starting up

5     Plug in the headphones.

The headphones then worked correctly.

I have repeated this process to make sure the fault happens if the headphones are left plugged in and the computer restarted, and that the fault goes away after removing them, shutting down (total shutdown) and then restarting, only plugging them in once Windows 10 has finished starting up.  The process is repeatable on my laptop.

It is quite possible that not all of these precise steps are needed to get headphones to work, but this can be explored in due course.

I hope this Very Simple Solution works for others. Please leave a reply if it works for you.

John"

Hi,         Unplug Headphones before restart....

Re your last paragraph. "The other issue".

I discovered yesterday that if I unplug my headphones at shutdown and replug them only after Win10 has restarted fully, then my headphones work correctly.

If I leave the headphones plugged in then the headphones will produce no sound after restart.  

Hope this help you or others.

Cheers

John

Copied below is from my post elsewhere on a thread titled "Windows 10  Realtek HD Audio and Headphone jack not working". I.e. here follows the detailed version of the above....

"Headphones issue - Very Simple Solution

Finally I have a Very Simple Solution to my Headphones not working....Unplug Headphones before shutting down computer. Re plug only when Windows 10 has finished starting up.

Today my headphones stopped working after I put my Laptop into sleep mode with the headphones still plugged in. When I restarted my laptop with the headphones still plugged in they no longer worked.

I checked all the obvious setting and nothing sound related had changed in Device Manager. I then did the following steps:-

1     Unplug the headphone jack plug with the computer still running.

2     Shut the computer down (total shutdown).

3     Restart the computer

4     Wait for Windows to finish starting up

5     Plug in the headphones.

The headphones then worked correctly.

I have repeated this process to make sure the fault happens if the headphones are left plugged in and the computer restarted, and that the fault goes away after removing them, shutting down (total shutdown) and then restarting, only plugging them in once Windows 10 has finished starting up.  The process is repeatable on my laptop.

It is quite possible that not all of these precise steps are needed to get headphones to work, but this can be explored in due course.

I hope this Very Simple Solution works for others. Please leave a reply if it works for you.

John"

This worked perfectly for me.  Thanks so much!

I face the same issue as mentioned in the last para mentioned above 

Discussion Info

Last updated September 22, 2020 Views 67,921 Applies to: