[SOLVED] False "Kernel Power Event ID 41 (63)" reported into the Event Viewer

Hello,

I have updated from Windows 7 to "Windows 10 family" a few days ago. The installation was done without any error in about an 1 hour (including download time). After W10 installation, I re-install/upgraded all the specific drivers (mobo chipset, lan, sound, video...). I do not have any "?" devices. In short everything is looking fine.

But, since the upgrade to W10 at every cold boot (when I turn on the computer, it was not sleeping nor hibernating) I get an error in the Event Viewer: "Kernel Power - Even ID 41 - Task Category (63)". The event time stamp is the moment I boot. I do not have that message if I ask Windows to reboot. It does only happen when I turn on the computer.

The PC doesn't boot twice. It does boot in a few seconds (as it is supposed to do :) ) There is no pop-up message. Just the "error" in the event viewer.

I never experienced power issue with Windows 7. As far as I can tell, I never had a blue-screen, nor a brutal shut down. I never saw this message with Windows 7. 

Since the installation, I did not use my pc much, but during the few hours it was on, there is nothing wrong. I did not launch any game. I stayed on the desktop (update Steam apps, Battle.net, drivers...)

My PC is fully patched, W10 is fully updated. I have the latest motherboard bios installed.

The PC Spec:
Asus Maximus Ranger VII
16 GB Crucial Balistix 1600 CL8 (2x8GB)
Intel I7-4790K
Crucial M550 256 GB (System - swap - temp)
Crucial M550 512 GB (Steam)
Seagate Barracuda 7200,14 2TB (stuff)
Asus Bluray reader
MSI Gforce GTX 970 Gaming
Seasonic M12-700 W

Nothing is overclocked. Ram are set (auto) to their XMP profile.

Any help is very much appriciated.

Regards, 

Philippe

|

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it resolves the issue.

Go through the below article and refer the section Can I create a power plan? And follow the procedure.

Click on, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Applies to Windows 10.

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thanks for you answer, but why creating a new power plan on my desktop will do any good to my issue?

The article provided does not seem to be related to my issue, does it ?

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

As of now, I suggest you to unplug all external devices connected to the pc and restart the system to check if you are able to get to the desktop screen.

Following link is an Microsoft article related to the error message that is being displayed on your screen and check if it helps.

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2028504 

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

If there are DMP files upload them as well

We do need the actual log files (called a DMP files) as they contain the only record of the sequence of events leading up to the crash, what drivers were loaded, and what was responsible.

Please follow our instructions for finding and uploading the files we need to help you fix your computer. They can be found here
If you have any questions about the procedure please ask

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank both of you for your answers,

Just to summarize: there is no crash. I do not have crash on shut down. I do not have crash on boot. I do no have crash at all. My computer shuts down (apparently) without any issue. Then, on next boot-up (which is happening flawlessly), I have the message in my Event Viewer. That's why I titled my post "False Kernel Power Event ID 41 (63) reported" ;)

I will dig through the Event Viewer to see if there is anything related to that (false) event. If I did not find anything (i.e. if this is beyond my understanding) I post the dump of it here.

Regards,

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

By looking at the errors and warnings logged in the Event Viewer, I noticed that before every (cold) boot where I have the message "Kernel Power...", I got the same message generated during the shut down.

The error is about en event relative to ReadyBoot: Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

I googled about it and I found a working solution there:

Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

The solutions that worked for me, is in the middle of the page, with 16 upvotes, the one that begin with:

An old thread and problem, but one that has been annoying me, and probably a few others.
The solution to the error: "Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188" is simple, and it needs no discussion of Prefetch, ReadyBoost, or whether you are using an SSD (as I am)...

It does solved my Readyboot error and it also solved my false kernel power message.

As I understand it, Windows has no place left to log the shutdown, thus on next boot Windows doesn't see the correct shutdown in the logfile, and deduces a power issue.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi folks

I found an easy solution.  I simply turned off fast start up and hey presto mine has completely resolved itself.  Try this and see if it works for you.

Go to "Settings"

Select "System"

Select "Power and Sleep"

Select "Additional Power Settings"

Select "Choose what the power buttons do"

Select "Change settings currently available"

Ensure that "Turn on fast start up" is deselected (unticked)

Click on "Save Changes"

Mine was rebooting about an hour after I powered on each morning and this had been going on for about 3 weeks (after a Windows 10 update).  It hasn't done it since, though goodness knows why it was doing it in the first place.  I hope it works for you.

Sue

41 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine was not rebooting, only getting error after normal start up. I changed the power settings to High Performance and now on normal start up no error!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2021 Views 86,361 Applies to: