Event ID 129 - storahci resetting raidport0

Ever since the 14th August I have been having my hard drive reset whilst playing video games - when something intensive has to load then sometimes the entire computer freezes for about 30 seconds and I get a warning in Event Viewer that "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued." (Event ID 129). After googling dozens of forums about other users experiencing this issue I have found no working solution.  

I have tried various solutions such as disabling PCI Express Link Power Management and setting AHCI Link Power Management to active. The drive is a Samsung SSD 840, which I have had for a few months now. These issues have only ever occurred after the Windows 10 upgrade. The SSD is configured correctly (e.g. using AHCI Mode, plugged into a SATA 6Gb/s slot).

This issue (according to Event Viewer) has happened 37 times since the 14th August. Things that were installed on that date were the latest Nvidia drivers for my graphics card so I had a feeling that might be the issue. So I reinstalled the drivers but the issue happened again today. The only other event shown to be happening at the same time is that apparently one second after the hard drive reset the "Software Protection Service" was started but I'm not sure if this is relevant. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

Method 1: Perform a sfc scan on the computer to check if there are any corruptions on the computer. Please follow the below link to perform a sfc scan on the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Try to perform a DISM commands on the computer. Please follow the below link to know how to perform DISM in Windows.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Let us know if we could be of any help regarding to Windows in future. We’ll be glad to assist.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I ran the system file checker and it found no issues, I then ran the DISM and it ran successfully. I will have to wait and see if the issue is resolved as it happens seemingly at random. I will make another post if the hard drive reset happens again. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue has now happened twice today, both while playing video games. Same error in event viewer and there isn't any other event that I can see that might have triggered it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also am having the same issue, and after troubleshooting extensively I have determined it is Event ID 129 as well. I tried both steps listed but it did not solve the problem.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am suffering from this same error. It causes random system lockups. I see it during regular usage of Windows and while gaming. It's a brand new Samsung 850 EVO. I'm in a SATA 3Gb/s port. AHCI enabled. Optimized the OS settings using the Samsung utility for "high performance." I've tried changing settings with page file but nothing seems to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Out of interest, are you also using a Samsung SSD?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if this has fixed the issue yet or not but I found out today that my SSD was using out of date firmware drivers. It also turned out that the "Samsung Magician" software that comes with these SSDs was out of date as well (version 4.5 instead of the current 4.6 update). Despite running the software a bunch over the past few months it had never detected that there was an update available so I went here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html

I'd recommend checking to see if your Samsung Magician software is up to date and see if the SSD itself has the latest firmware. In my case once I downloaded version 4.6 of Samsung Magician it detected that my SSD's firmware was out of date. Again, not sure if this has worked but it's worth checking. So far I haven't run into any freezes but the freezes are so random that I can't say for sure. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been using Magician 4.6 for a while now as well but continue to experience trouble. It might be worth noting that there are some functions in Magician that aren't supported like the RAPID mode where it seems to be unable to detect the version of the OS. This leads me to believe that Magician may not (yet) be very good at optimizing the drive for Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing that may be worth noting is that I cloned my drive using Samsung Disk Migration from an old WD Velociraptor. I was running Windows 7 at the time with the drive in ATA mode. I cloned to the SSD, booted up fine, ran Magician, switched to AHCI mode, everything ran fine. Come time to upgrade to Windows 10 and here I am with these issues. My hardware is fairly long in the tooth but works great otherwise. I suspect some incompatibilities with Windows 10 though. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard with an Intel Core i7 920. Removed all overclocks for the past week. I am thinking this might be resolved with switching back to ATA mode which I will try later tonight.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Interesting, I also cloned my old hard drive onto this Samsung SSD before upgrading to Windows 10. But in my case I used to run in RAID mode and switched to AHCI. My other hardware is almost brand new (Asus z97-a motherboard, i7 4790k) so I have a feeling its something to do with Samsung's SSDs not working well with Windows 10. As far as I know however I only started experiencing these issues since the 14th August whereas I upgraded to Windows 10 on the 7th. 

I'm still suspecting that the latest Nvidia drivers might be causing the issue, are you also using an Nvidia graphics card?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2024 Views 78,672 Applies to: