Display off takes all audio with it in Windows 10?!

I have a WinBook TW700 tablet that is often used as a music player (Foobar2000). One of the things that infuriated me about Win8.x was the "connected standby" thing where one couldn't turn off the display to save power without causing the whole device to go to sleep, so when I discovered that this had been fixed in Windows 10, I decided to try it.

Well, the ability to have the display shut off without causing the whole tablet to go to sleep is back - but the problem is that the display turning off turns off the audio as well! (Note: the tablet is NOT going to sleep here.) Given the highly integrated nature of tablets, I thought this might be a quirk of this tablet, a situation similar to sending picture and audio together over a HDMI cable where screen blanking can shut down the audio too. So, I gave an inexpensive separate USB audio interface a try thinking that would solve the problem; imagine my frustration when it made absolutely no difference!

Power is still supplied to the USB port when the display shuts off; I've gone through Device Manager and un-checked every "Allow this device to be shut off to save power" for audio and USB systems that I could find, to no avail. I've gone through those two categories and updated drivers wherever that was an option - still no luck.

The other thing I noticed is that this isn't an abrupt cut-off at the same time as the screen goes black; there's a quick but definite fade out as the audio shuts down, about 4 seconds or so after the display goes black. This suggests to me that this is intentional and perhaps not an issue of audio/video hardware integration, though the reason the system would be designed to do this with no option I can find to allow the audio to continue leaves me bemused. An option to shut off the display should do that - and ONLY that!

So - does anyone have any idea what I might have overlooked here, or have any other info about solving this? The only thing I can think is that for some reason MS tied the two systems together at a fairly low level - so it doesn't matter if I'm using the built-in Intel SST audio system or my external Trond USB unit for playback. It seems a pretty simple wish to have the tablet playing music with the display shut down to save power - it would be bizarre if it were somehow impossible to do.

Question Info

Last updated August 15, 2019 Views 7,805 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Some applications pause/freeze if you turn off the display. So I would suggest you to use Windows Media Player instead of Foober 2000 to playback the music and check if it helps.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you
Ravindra R Kamath
Microsoft Community

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Some applications pause/freeze if you turn off the display. So I would suggest you to use Windows Media Player instead of Foober 2000 to playback the music and check if it helps.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

I tested WMP, and the behavior was identical to Foobar2000, as it was with VUplayer and several other desktop applications. However, when I tried Groove Music ... the music continued to play. This leads me to believe what's presented as simply turning off the display is being affected by "connected standby" for some reason. As I said in my original post - part of the reason I upgraded the tablet to Win10 was the fact it looked like I'd be able to have the display turn off after a time WITHOUT encountering "connected standby"! I consider this a pretty significant bug or misrepresentation - what's the difference between "Turn off the display" and "Sleep" if they behave essentially the same way for the apps I'm using? (For what it's worth - neither Groove Music nor any other Modern UI music application I've seen is an acceptable alternative to Foobar2000 for my needs for a variety of reasons.)

I have no problem with the concept of "connected standby" in the context of the device going to sleep; but I want a "pure" display off option, where the display being shut off to save power is ALL that happens. (Thus, using a blank black screen saver is not an acceptable alternative as the tablet's display backlight would still be on and consuming power.) 

I'm hoping there's a fix for this out there somewhere.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The only answer I've found so far is not an ideal one, and it confirms the suspicion I had previously expressed. If I go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power and set the CSEnabled key to 0 - the problem goes away. Of course, I also lose the ability to have the tablet go to sleep at all - but under the circumstances it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

I understand that Microsoft loves the idea of "connected standby" but I really do find it an offensive mis-representation to have it activated by/tied in with - whatever term you prefer - what should be a simple, straightforward function: turning off the display to save power while leaving ALL other systems fully functional. This needs to be fixed, and sooner would be better than later, since it's too late to have this ugly mistake not happen. Or to put it another way - this needs a FIX, not merely the work-around I'm using now.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the poster. I too listen to my own music. I do use wmp.....which is their app, not a 3rd party app. It seems like they have taken quite a few steps backward and are not moving forward with the market. I am so fed up with calling and reporting this problem and the person on the other end seems not to believe you when you are telling them not only does the screen go out....the audio as well, but it doesn't stop...if you wait about 5 - 10 seconds, click on the mouse, the song is that much further along.....so it is playing until you set it to go to sleep. What a waste of power both on the battery and the electric. That work a round is totally asinine....why would you want to lose the sleep function and replace it with hibernate? That state is not good for SSD;s. Microsoft is not moving forward...this is the 21st century and they are making computers that were put out in the 20th century. For what I paid for that surface pro 4 I expect it to work. We are all in the insider program...we didn't have the option to sign up. We were automatically signed up for the slowest ring that doesn't seem to have a fix for most things wrong with the computer. And now with this AU update they screwed up the cameras. Who is behind the design of these....someone that never operated a computer. There aren't enough words to express my disgust with this company. It is an unfair rip off to anyone that did an upgrade. Before the upgrade their computers were working,

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using WMP.....not 3rd party software.....this function has worked on every computer I have had since Win 95

Is anyone from MS reading this thread as I would like a response. Something is wrong with the option to turn the display off and only the display. This function doesn't work on my SP3   version 1511, in fact it didn't work on the version before that. I have a SP4 as well. Started out with 1511. Am now on 1607 with the same problem. I  listen to podcasts or my music with the display off...totally off......the display backlight should not be on at all. I have the sleep function disabled, but not by going through the registry. I disabled it under Control Panel/Hardware & Sound/Power Options/System Settings. The only shut off options are now restart or shut down. This still doesn't work. Under the power options.....using either UI...I set the display to go off at 1 minute.....sleep...Never....the display goes off at 1 minute ....audio follows about 4 seconds later...no audible sound. Yet if you click on the mouse 30 seconds later the song is still playing and is further along. It doesn't go off because I have it set to never, yet the audio cuts off. Under the power options settings there is the screen saver box. Why don't we have the option to select None? That is the setting needed for a display that is totally off .....the other selections work...ie Blank....select that and it over rides the setting to turn the display off. The screen will go blank and continue to play music, but the screen doesn't go totally out/off. The screen saver option seems need to be integrated in a Windows OS if you want the screen off. Why is it that I can play I Heart Radio or Tune In .....the screen will go out on those apps and keep playing the music. This problem occurs on both battery and while plugged in. I've always used this. I have no problems on Android or Apple. I have reported this problem many times.....I get surveys from MS ...fill them out...does anyone take any of this seriously? I do and would seriously consider not recommending or buying another Windows OS system if this is how the problems are addressed

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem too, but I don't want:

• to change the CSEnabled registry key,
  • nor to install third-party software,
  • nor to change my lock screen timeout each time I listen to music

So here is a simple (yet imperfect) workaround:

I just start a video with VLC, and I keep it paused in the background. VLC prevents the screen from locking.

Waiting for MS to take care of this issue...

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the OP. I want to leave everything else on, but turn off the lamp behind the screen.  That should be easy. To turn off the music (I'm using Edge) is unexpected and unwelcome behaviour.  Would you please register this as a problem.

Thank you.

Doug.

Sorry this didn't help.

The holiday season is upon us, and playing music while we do other things is something that happens more during the holidays. And yet, here we are, with this old problem. When the screen sleeps, the music stops. It's awful. I don't want to keep a radio around nowadays. My computer does all that it does EXCEPT that the music stops playing (when the screen sleeps) if that's all I'm using it for. I refuse to believe that its something that can't be fixed. My Windows Phone keeps playing music when it's display sleeps; but my Windows computer can't manage this. 

Sorry this didn't help.

The holiday season is upon us, and playing music while we do other things is something that happens more during the holidays. And yet, here we are, with this old problem. When the screen sleeps, the music stops. It's awful. I don't want to keep a radio around nowadays. My computer does all that it does EXCEPT that the music stops playing (when the screen sleeps) if that's all I'm using it for. I refuse to believe that its something that can't be fixed. My Windows Phone keeps playing music when it's display sleeps; but my Windows computer can't manage this. 

Just to let you know you're not alone.

THIS BUG SUCKS SOOOOO MUCH!

I only want to listen music over my graphic card, connected via HDMI to my 7.1 Receiver (So a soundcard with cinch only or optical, that is completely outdated is no option).

Why can't the display port (Monitor) not be sent to standby, while HDMI (Receiver) stays alive.?

I don't get it.

And I'm really wondering why not thousands of users are angry about that....

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft, where are you on this?  Why have you gone silent?  You are causing many of us to waste precious power keeping our screens alive just to play music!  Please fix this ASAP!

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.