Display is shown as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

I've got windows 10 on an alienware 15 R3. it came with a intel HD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA 1070 integrated GPUs. The 1070 broke, resulting in a blackscreen unless disabled. Today, i got the Razor core X external GPU runner and a RTX 2070, got everything set up, all the drivers installed, everything updated, etc. Im not missing any files or drivers, all files and drivers are the right version, etc etc.

After i deleted the 1070 driver (because it wasnt working) and restarted my computer, the 2 correct GPUs will show in device manager (the Intel HD Graphics 630, and RTX 2070), but when i run dxdiag, it'll show 2 displays (despite me only using my laptop's screen). The first and main display (my laptops screen) will show as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and the 2nd display will show as either the intel GPU or the NVIDIA GPU (i can change this by disabling or enabling the cards from the device manager). 

This is a problem for 2 reasons, it looks disgusting normally, wont let me run some games, and it keeps me from being able to open up NVIDIA control panel to mess with my display and graphics settings (results in a "NVIDIA Display settings are not available. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU" error" making it impossible to make my RTX card default for my games, making is impossible to play most games.

Geforce experience helps slightly by forcing some games to default to the RTX but anything with its own launcher (minecraft, farcry 3 [along with any other ubisoft game], escape from tarkov, cod MW, etc etc) refuses to launch because the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter doesnt have the right options to launch it. 

Anything i can find online for help is rediciously old and half the settings that show up dont show up now because the windows version is either outdated, or not windows 10. I just want to play my games again man. Please tell me someone knows how to fix this, or default graphics cards without going into NVIDIA control panel. I need it to default to the intel card so i can launch the game with the display settings, but with my RTX card (if that makes sense???)
Hi

My name is Lee; an Independent Consultant, I'm here to help you with your problem.

Please try to use the intel auto detect software

Please use the Intel auto detect software

Link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support...

For Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-sg/geforce/

For Amd : https://www.amd.com/en/support

Please use the auto detect software to update your drivers

Thanks

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

My name is Lee; an Independent Consultant, I'm here to help you with your problem.

Please try to use the intel auto detect software

Please use the Intel auto detect software

Please use the auto detect software to update your drivers

Already done, had to go through and update all my drivers and install new ones anyways to get the RTX running at all. Even went through and rolled back everything and just installed drivers needed and didnt update any current drivers (unless needed) to see if it'd change anything and it didnt, so i went back and downloaded everything again.

All of my drivers are up to date, installed, and running. And yet my display is showing "Microsoft basic display adapter" instead of intel hd graphics 630.

And before you ask, both the intel hd graphics and the rtx 2070 show up in device managers, so it isnt a "system cant find driver and replaces it with the MBDA" problem because all the appropriate graphics drivers display and are up to date on the system and can be found in the device manager

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 12,255 Applies to: