Windows 10 screen freezes

Original title: display driver for intell HD grahpics divers for windows 8 stopped responding and has successfully recovered- need help

display driver for intell HD grahpics divers for windows 8 stopped responding and has successfully recovered 

This is the error I constantly get while playing minecraft on my windows 10 laptop. it says "recovered" except it doesn't actually recover anything. It just freezes my screen and I have to reboot.

I upgraded to windows 10 back in November and ever since then I have gotten this error, I only just started recently gaming heavily so I notice it much more.

Now, before everyone tells me to update my driver software, uninstall and reboot or restore my computer...I have done all of that and still nothing. I just want to go back to windows 8 if it will solve it because it has gotten unbearable except I can't figure out how to go back to windows 8!

Please, can anyone help me?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share a few details to narrow down the issue:

1. What is the make and model of your laptop?

2. Have you uninstalled and installed the graphics driver from computer manufacturer’s website?

3. Do you have Windows 10 graphics driver installed on your laptop?

If not, I request you to download the driver from manufacturer’s website and install it in compatibility mode. Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.    

2. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

3. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 10 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Note: If the driver for Windows 10 is not available, you can install it in Windows 8/8.1 compatibility mode.

Also to go back to Windows 8, I would suggest you to refer to the section “go back to your previous version of Windows” from the article given below and check if it helps in resolving your issue:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

To answer your question, yes I have tried to reinstall the graphics drivers multiple times. I have a 2014 HP envy, I don't know much else about it. 

My processor is a Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz 

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GeForce GT 740m

I have no idea if I have a windows 10 graphics driver installed on my computer, I do not know how to do that. I did what you said with going to the manufacturers website and it won't even install. Do I even have the right link? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25188/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-33-

If not, could you please show me what I exactly need to download because when I select compatibility, there is not even a windows 10 option. When I install it with windows 8 compatibility it says that my driver is not validated for my computer. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bump, please help. The problem still persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Graham,

Thanks you for posting your reply and update.

Apologies for the delayed response.

I suggest you to click on the download link and then save the setup file on your hard drive. Further right click on the setup file and continue with the steps suggested for compatibility mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, thanks for responding!!

First off, who is Graham? 

Secondly, I did exactly what you said to do, let me tell you what is says as I previously typed in my first response:

Typed as seen on screen exactly.

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit.

Would you like more information?

Click Yes to be directed to the Intel support website.

End

I am then given yes or no options. 

Yes takes me to this page: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005469.html

this 'help page' has absolutely nothing to do with the problem I am facing and is off topic to the actual error message.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

I suggest you to go to the Graphics Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Graphics Card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

Steps to re-install the Graphics Card Drivers.

1. Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.

2. Click on “Device Manager” from that list.

3. Search for the Graphics Card from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.

4.Download the latest Graphics adapter driver setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Refer the link below to download the graphic drivers an check if it helps.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/100870

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for helping, I am installing the GeForce graphics drivers now. My question is though, since the error message I originally got mentioned the intel HD graphics card, shouldn't that one be the problem? Why do I have two graphics cards? 

Sorry for sounding so stupid but I never thought the GeForce graphics card was the issue.

Also, I just installed the link you sent to me and it says the following:

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue 

This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response.

I suggest you to install the latest available drivers in compatibility mode. Please refer the below steps as well as the article for better clarity on Compatibility mode.

Compatibility mode

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the graphics driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Please refer to the following Wiki article created by Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Thanks & Regards,
Pawan Dhondiyal
Microsoft Community

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2019 Views 895 Applies to: