[1 and a half years!] Diagonal Screen Tearing still unfixed.

So before we start, this is not regular screen tearing, it's diagonal. Skip to the end for my question. Please see the following picture if you don't know what Diagonal screen tearing is:

---

The issue:

(i) Only occurs when a mobile Nvidia GPU to process applications (does not occur when using an Intel GPU)

(ii) Occurs mostly on the internal screen though it can also affect external displays.

(iiI) Only occurs in applications that use the Directx 9, OpenGL, or Vulkun APIs. So far no issues with DX1-8 & 10-12.

(iv) It does not matter if the application is rendering in fullscreen or windowed mode.

(v) Nor does vsync matter.

Affects mobile Nvidia GPU from the 800 series and up.

Nvidia Forums topics on the issue:

1 - Diagonal Screen Tearing Issues on GTX 860M/870M/960M/965M/970M/980M...

2 - Strange screen tearing in DirectX windowed mode on GTX 970M & GTX 870M

There are many different reports of Diagonal Screen Tearing on Google. I'm not going to list them all, but they are there for your viewing pleasure.

Support response:

MSI support has stated that it is an issue with Windows, while Nvidia only say that they know about it and are working on a fix. Other than avoiding the conditions outlined above the best you can, it is NOT fixable by the user. Rather only work arounds exist which can, and most likely will, limit functionally in some way, shape or form.

You can see the support responses here: Imgur Link

---

The question: It's been over a year since the issue of diagonal screen tearing was first reported, and yet it still hasn't been fixed. Is this issue even acknowledged by Microsoft? Or have MSI, Nvidia and possibly other manufacturers been lying about this?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.*** -- Funny, this doesn't just affect games. What's the point of putting in Gaming on Windows 10 then?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jack,

I realize that you are facing issue with the Diagonal Screen Tearing. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• What is the make and model of the PC?

• Have you installed all the pending updates and also updated all the device drivers on the PC?

Follow these steps to update the Display driver from the Device Manager and check if this helps.

1. Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

2. Expand “Display Adaptor”.

3. Right click on the video driver and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You will also find the updated driver on the computer manufacturer’s website. If you do not find the display driver compatible with Windows 10 then you may download the available driver and install it in compatibility mode to check if that helps.

Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

MSI GE62 6QC, Windows 10 64bit.

All updates are automatically installed on Windows 10.

All display adapter updates are handled via respective software which auto updates said drivers. But the issue persists on both Windows, MSI and Nvidia variants of the drivers.

The drivers that I am using have full Windows 10 64bit support. Though I have previously tried installing in Windows 7 mode, the issue still persists. Likewise with Win8/8.1 mode. There are also drivers for Windows 7/8 which I have tried. Of course across various compatibility modes.

This issue is not limited to my system or setup as can be seen by the two forums posts I have linked. It affects a wide range of notebooks that have Nvidia Optimus. But as can be seen further down, both MSI and Nvidia have claimed at some point that the issue is with Windows 10. Hence why I am asking here as to whether or not anything is being done.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Your efforts to work on this issue is very much appreciated.

Suggest you to use the Windows Feedback app to tell Microsoft which features you love, which features you could do without, or when something could be better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Fullscreen mode isn't helping for me, KOTOR has the tearing issue you described.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since this thread has already aged and an answer was provided, I would highly suggest you to post a new thread for us to assist you better. Please make sure that you put the correct tagging so that your thread will be easy to find. 

 Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's nice. I leave this question alone for a while and someone marks an answered for me. Go figure.

All I'm seeing are excuses and work arounds. This has been an issue for years now and Microsoft or Nvidia have yet to fix it. 

94 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this issue with certain apps or games. There is absolutely nothing I can do to fix it. Went through all the intel graphics settings, nvidia control panel, profiles, vsync, no vsync, afterburner, etc... NOTHING will fix this problem for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well downgrading to windows 7 did help for me. It isn't the most safe solution, but it works.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[I seem to have found a fix]

I'll skip all the boring intro phrases because I know how frustrating this has been for me and for you.

So apparently, I can fix my tearing issue by launching the game from "Geforce Experience"(see picture) app.

I was playing Fallout 3, and had the same diagonal tearing issue on my 950m. But only from launching the game normally through its .exe .

I had the GEFORCE Experience scan my game folder to see if it detects Fallout 3, and it does.
I went into its settings and optimized it.(see picture)

The problem was completely gone when I ran the game that way, weird huh?

tell me if this worked for you guys. bless.

http://imgur.com/0WM2LlC picture 1
http://imgur.com/PDy345x picture 2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When using V-sync check nvidia settings and make sure Triple Buffering is set to On. I had that same diagonal screen tearing on my laptop with a gtx 1060. Only occurred in a few of my games but that seemed to fix it if I can remember correctly.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2020 Views 6,577 Applies to: