Device Census is Using Webcam

I am quite concerned about notifications popping up on my computer stating, “Device Census is using Webcam.” I just started seeing this notification after updating my Kaspersky security.  The first time I saw it I shut my computer down immediately. The past few months I've been afraid to pay my bills online or use my computer for much at all.

After researching the issue, I better understand what is going on but with every new convenience of technology comes more risk.  All programs are hackable to one degree or another and I don't want ANYONE coming over my computer without my knowledge. It is my responsibility to read all privacy notices and updates. Although I try to do so, sometimes something gets by or I don't fully understand and take things wrong.

I want to disable my webcam, but if I do will it not also incapacitate Skype or other face to face chats? I read on one thread that I could disable my webcam and then I could use it but no one else would be able to.  I have a lot of family out of town. Would they still be able to see me? Is there any way that I can use my webcam and not let others come in uninvited? My daughter has just moved and mentioned Skype for me to stay in contact with my young grandson.

I'm not stupid, but I'm not a computer tech either. If you can help me out and let me know how to elevate my concerns it would be appreciated. 

Moved from:      Microsoft Edge / Website issues / Windows 10

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2019 Views 65,187 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Penny,

Noting the details that you have provided.

Device Census is a background process that runs to check your device and inform Microsoft which build would fit perfect for an update.

Windows 10 contains a Telemetry service that reports back to Microsoft on hardware usage/errors etc.

Device Census is part of that Telemetry Framework and the process is only gathering data on your usage of the webcam

If you want to restrict this access to your webcam, go to Settings -  Privacy  - Camera and uncheck the option 'Let apps use my camera hardware'.

This way, you won't have the fear that this will access your computer without you knowing.

Do get back to us should you need anything else and we will be glad to assist you further.

Best,

Anne

446 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.