Question

Custom keyboard layout with Windows 10

Michael ... asked on

Trying get my custom layout (made with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4) working with Windows 10.

Officially MKLC supports up to Windows 7 (and it worked for me with Windows 7), there are some  posts about using it successfully with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 (e.g. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-desktop/how-to-install-custom-klc-file-for-keyboard-layout/1651871e-cf33-4888-abc9-f7980b3c1cd0), but neither works for me with Windows 10.

The layout is installed successfully and even listed among keyboards to add, however when I try to use it,  the preview is greyed out and keyboard icon does not appear in notification area (system tray), even though I have two keyboard layouts in my configuration.

Further I change registry key for the layout, as suggested in the article referred above and ... the custom layout is no longer listed!

Someone succeeded in making custom keyboard layout working under Windows 10?

145 people had this question

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply
arnobpl_ replied on

I have tested Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 under Windows 10 Pro. Installed my custom keyboard layout successfully and I can use it for typing. It also shows in the Language bar. Only the issue I face is that "Preview" is greyed out. I have not changed any registry settings though.

Microsoft should update this tool to add official Windows 10 compatibility. Very useful tool! Also in my opinion, this tool should be integrated with Windows just like "Character Map" or "Private Character Editor" tool.

100 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress