Creators Update - .NET 4.0 and earlier issues with Touch Screens

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with certain software on the Windows Creators Update.

My issue is that every time I open a version of AutoCAD that uses .NET 4.0 or earlier (AutoCAD 2014 and earlier), when I try to switch between ribbons, I immediately get a software crash and the entire application closes.

When AutoCAD crashes, I can examine the call stack, which I have posted below.  If you look, you will see that the three most recent calls in the stack refer to 'Stylus' related devices.  I can only assume that these are calls to Touchscreen components, which my laptop does have. 

All of this worked just fine prior to the Windows Creators Update, so I can only assume that there was a change that began causing these issues.

Is there a way to resolve this on my end or can Microsoft put out an update/bug fix for this issue?  Because as it stands, AutoCAD 2014 or earlier is 100% unusable on my laptop.

------- BEGIN CALL STACK -----

at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispStylusDevice.ChangeStylusCapture(IInputElement stylusCapture, CaptureMode captureMode, Int32 timestamp)
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispStylusDevice.Capture(IInputElement element, CaptureMode captureMode)
at System.Windows.Input.StylusWisp.WispLogic.PostProcessInput(Object sender, ProcessInputEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.RaiseProcessInputEventHandlers(ProcessInputEventHandler postProcessInput, ProcessInputEventArgs processInputEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseDevice.ChangeMouseCapture(IInputElement mouseCapture, IMouseInputProvider providerCapture, CaptureMode captureMode, Int32 timestamp)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseDevice.Capture(IInputElement element, CaptureMode captureMode)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonDown(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseDownThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

Thank you so much for posting this clue about the touchscreen. We have encountered the same issue with our customers using AutoCAD 2013 OEM based product.

We found that disabling touch screen interface worked for us, which is a minor tradeoff for most users:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-touch-screen-windows-10

open Device Manager and search for Human Interface Devices. Expand it.
Then, right-click on HID-compliant touch screen and from the list of options displayed, select ‘Disable’.

Hope this is an option for you.

Thank you,

Leonid

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow. Months later, same deal.

Noticed this exactly just after Creators Update. Also noticed there isn't any HID-compliant touch screen to disable on desktop computers with this issue.

Tracked the crash down to Splashtop Streamer and Touch Injection.

Fix:

Open up Regedit.exe and navigate to the 64-bit path "HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Splashtop Inc.\Splashtop Remote Server" 

(32-bit path is "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Splashtop Inc.\Splashtop Remote Server" alternatively. )

Add a DWORD called EnableSrvTouchInject and leave it equal to 0.

Restart the Splashtop Streamer or reboot. Test AC2014 after that.

Obviously, if you have this problem and Splashtop isn't installed, it could be another tool doing something similar. Good luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2019 Views 443 Applies to: