Cpu usage high until i open task manager

My Acer laptop's fan has been running very loudly these past few weeks. When it gets too unbearable, I open Task Manager, only to find that my cpu usage lowers dramatically from 100% going as low to 13%.

Is this normal?

~Cj

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 44,840 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Restart the computer a few times and check for Windows Updates.

In the Search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates.

If the issue persists, then try Clean Boot and check.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.
How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

Try to run the following commands and check if it helps.

1.   Open command prompt. (Type cmd in Search or Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Command Prompt admin).

1.   Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1.   Close the CMD window.

2.   Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for not saying earlier, but this fixed the problem. Thanks! My daughter thanks you too, she hated the noise. :)

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and letting us know about the status of the issue.

You both are welcome.  

Glad to know that the issue is fixed.

You both have a wonderful and a great 2016.

In future, if you have any issues related to Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I searched for this question due to the same issue with my HP laptop. I also had this issue with my Sony laptop. I have only had this issue with Windows 10, and it is downright suspicious behavior.

If I had asked anyone prior to Windows 10 about this issue, the immediate response would have been "Spyware," as whatever is causing the issue immediately conceals itself upon revelation.

I am an instructor in IT and hold multiple certifications. I want to know WHY this is happening, not how to fix it.

Your solution does solve the problem, but why is this a problem? Why do I have Microsoft Certified applications burning up my CPU, fan, and HDD, when my system has been fully updated? Is there a 'smart' program utilized to scan for system performance and resilience during optimum downtime?

Some further information: my computer only does this when it is idle for a while after a long period of use.

I would imagine that most users would not notice this if they use their computer for a while and walk away, but my job and hobbies involve me coming back after what seems just the right amount of time. 

I want to know this for educational purposes more so than anything else. I will be likely be adding CompTIA A+ classes to my roster soon.

Thank you,

-CS

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

It is simply an abuse of hardware for the sake of crypto-currency mining. When you are not aware your CPU is used to mine electronic coins such as Monero and such. 

Whom does it serve? Only God knows :)

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

my problem still persist after doing what you said.

I've run every update available and run the commands you wrote in the post but still the CPU usage is very high until I open the task manager, then it reduces the CPU usage to normal values around 2-5% iddle.

Thanks in advance.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What exactly worked for you? Thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. What was it that you did that stopped the problem? Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There are something wrong when I run the last command "Get-AppXPackage ...", the message is as follows:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it m
odifies are currently in use.
error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134
_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] ddcd07b6-0c4a-0000-6d39-cddd4a0cd401 in the Event Log or use th
e command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID ddcd07b6-0c4a-0000-6d39-cddd4a0cd401
At line:1 char:94
+ ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
+                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand.

The Event Log:

Time                      ID           Message
----                      --           -------
25/6/2018 14:09:55        603          Started deployment Register operation on a package with main parameter: AppXMani
                                       fest.xml and Options: 0 and 0. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160
                                        for help diagnosing app deployment issues.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        10002        Creating Resiliency File C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\15d677c1
                                       -4333-4606-a993-900c2d60525b_S-1-5-21-1770724309-3955324544-3268292770-1001_22.r
                                       slc for Register Operation on Package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neu
                                       tral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        607          Deployment Register operation on package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_
                                       neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy has been de-queued and is running for user SID S-1
                                       -5-21-1770724309-3955324544-3268292770-1001.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        613          Adding uri to the list of Uris: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_
                                       cw5n1h2txyewy\AppXManifest.xml.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        492          In-place package update policy result for Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134
                                       _neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy - staging: false, applying false
25/6/2018 14:09:55        339          Registration will process the User extensions in the following order: windows.vi
                                       sualElements windows.mailProvider windows.autoPlayContent windows.autoPlayDevice
                                        windows.autoPlayHandler windows.activatableClass.inProcessServer windows.activa
                                       tableClass.outOfProcessServer windows.activatableClass.proxyStub windows.activat
                                       ableClass.downloadUpload windows.search windows.fileOpenPicker windows.fileSaveP
                                       icker windows.cachedFileUpdater windows.appUriHandler windows.appPrinter windows
                                       .startupTask windows.shareTarget windows.lockScreenCall windows.personalAssistan
                                       tLaunch windows.fileTypeAssociation windows.protocol windows.primaryInteropAssem
                                       blies windows.appointmentsProvider windows.activatableClass.backgroundPlaybackCl
                                       ass windows.backgroundTasks windows.DefaultBackgroundTasks windows.webAccountPro
                                       vider windows.userDataAccountsProvider windows.preInstalledConfigTask windows.up
                                       dateTask windows.appService windows.appointmentDataProvider windows.contactDataP
                                       rovider windows.emailDataProvider windows.userDataTaskDataProvider windows.barco
                                       deScannerProvider windows.barcodeScannerPreviewProvider windows.internal.filePic
                                       kerExperience windows.dialProtocol windows.lockScreenComponent windows.printWork
                                       flowBackgroundTask windows.printWorkflowForegroundTask windows.restrictedLaunch
                                       windows.accountPictureProvider windows.cameraSettings windows.printTaskSettings
                                       windows.print3DWorkflow windows.comServer windows.comInterface windows.firewallR
                                       ules windows.classicAppCompatKeys windows.appExecutionAlias windows.activatableC
                                       lass.collector windows.localExperiencePack .
25/6/2018 14:09:55        573          Setting Sync Enabled status, package family name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1
                                       h2txyewy, enabled true.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        566          Acquiring roaming data for already registered package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_
                                       1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        638          Packages were not updated because affected apps are still running.  Running apps
                                       : {Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI}, Directly serviced package
                                       s: {Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy}, Indir
                                       ectly serviced packages: {NULL}, Number of previous attempts: 0, Is user session
                                        locked: false
25/6/2018 14:09:55        419          error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed
                                        Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        605          The last successful state reached was PackagesInUseClosed. Failure occurred befo
                                       re reaching the next state ResolvedDeferredRegistrations. hr: 0x80073D02
25/6/2018 14:09:55        339          Registration will process the User extensions in the following order: windows.vi
                                       sualElements windows.mailProvider windows.autoPlayContent windows.autoPlayDevice
                                        windows.autoPlayHandler windows.activatableClass.inProcessServer windows.activa
                                       tableClass.outOfProcessServer windows.activatableClass.proxyStub windows.activat
                                       ableClass.downloadUpload windows.search windows.fileOpenPicker windows.fileSaveP
                                       icker windows.cachedFileUpdater windows.appUriHandler windows.appPrinter windows
                                       .startupTask windows.shareTarget windows.lockScreenCall windows.personalAssistan
                                       tLaunch windows.fileTypeAssociation windows.protocol windows.primaryInteropAssem
                                       blies windows.appointmentsProvider windows.activatableClass.backgroundPlaybackCl
                                       ass windows.backgroundTasks windows.DefaultBackgroundTasks windows.webAccountPro
                                       vider windows.userDataAccountsProvider windows.preInstalledConfigTask windows.up
                                       dateTask windows.appService windows.appointmentDataProvider windows.contactDataP
                                       rovider windows.emailDataProvider windows.userDataTaskDataProvider windows.barco
                                       deScannerProvider windows.barcodeScannerPreviewProvider windows.internal.filePic
                                       kerExperience windows.dialProtocol windows.lockScreenComponent windows.printWork
                                       flowBackgroundTask windows.printWorkflowForegroundTask windows.restrictedLaunch
                                       windows.accountPictureProvider windows.cameraSettings windows.printTaskSettings
                                       windows.print3DWorkflow windows.comServer windows.comInterface windows.firewallR
                                       ules windows.classicAppCompatKeys windows.appExecutionAlias windows.activatableC
                                       lass.collector windows.localExperiencePack .
25/6/2018 14:09:55        401          Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.Windows
                                       .Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from:  (AppXManifest.xml)  f
                                       ailed with error 0x80073D02. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 f
                                       or help diagnosing app deployment issues.
25/6/2018 14:09:55        404          AppX Deployment operation failed for package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17
                                       134_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy with error 0x80073D02. The specific error text
                                        for this failure is: error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following
                                       apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.10.7.17134_neutral_neutral_cw
                                       5n1h2txyewy.

I have closed the Cortana already and restart the computer several times. This problem still happens.

What should I do?

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.