Continuing BSOD crashes with Windows 10 and AMD Radeon R7 M265 graphics adapter driver

You may have seen my previous posts on this issue: it began for me with the 1709 release of Windows 10. Getting BSOD crashes because of 'Thread Stuck In Device Driver' with the driver for the Radeon R7 M265 adapter.

I have kept the adapter disabled to allow Windows update to accumulate and hopefully resolve the problem. I am now at Windows 10 1709 334.

I installed AMD's latest driver from their support web site yesterday (dated 22 March 2018 version 23.30.15033.5003) and this ran OK. Note that I had deinstalled and deleted all previous AMD drivers before performing that installation.

However, this morning's Window Update overwrote that driver with the same one that has been the source of the BSOD crashes in the past (dated 22 June 2015 version 15.200.1045.0). Consequently, I had a BSOD crash again. I've had to disable the AMD adapter again.

If I perform an 'Update Driver' in Device Manager that old driver is the one picked up if I use the 'Search Automatically...' option: it prefers that to the new AMD one when I have had that running.

That is puzzling as is also Windows Update preference. The latest driver I see listed in Windows Catalog for the Radeon R7 M265 is dated 24 April 2017 version 22.19.162.4. (I have to assume that is superior to the June 2015 one.) Why isn't Windows Update providing at least that April 2017 driver?

I have downloaded Microsoft's tool for selecting a driver to leave alone during update but it does not list the Radeon driver so I can't freeze it. Obviously, I do not want to go so far as to freeze all driver or other updates.

Is anyone else still experiencing such an issue? Is anyone aware of a fix?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi sh.gong,

I do appreciate your suggestions and your account of your experiences has been most helpful.

I wasn't aware of the tight integration between the Intel and AMD devices you describe, so thanks for that steer. In that case, I can see your hunch about what Windows Update is doing makes sense.

Running that latest AMD driver for the M265 has been operating well so far for me. Of course, I am going to continue to monitor the situation and see what unfolds over the course of Windows updates. I'm also going to continue to investigate other sources of info and see if those inquiries cast further light.

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been having this exact same issue on my Inspiron 5547. Already reported this issue on the feedback hub a few months ago, but the problem with the old AMD driver being reinstalled is still present. Hope a fix comes soon...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You may have seen my previous posts on this issue: it began for me with the 1709 release of Windows 10. Getting BSOD crashes because of 'Thread Stuck In Device Driver' with the driver for the Radeon R7 M265 adapter.

I have kept the adapter disabled to allow Windows update to accumulate and hopefully resolve the problem. I am now at Windows 10 1709 334.

I installed AMD's latest driver from their support web site yesterday (dated 22 March 2018 version 23.30.15033.5003) and this ran OK. Note that I had deinstalled and deleted all previous AMD drivers before performing that installation.

However, this morning's Window Update overwrote that driver with the same one that has been the source of the BSOD crashes in the past (dated 22 June 2015 version 15.200.1045.0). Consequently, I had a BSOD crash again. I've had to disable the AMD adapter again.

If I perform an 'Update Driver' in Device Manager that old driver is the one picked up if I use the 'Search Automatically...' option: it prefers that to the new AMD one when I have had that running.

That is puzzling as is also Windows Update preference. The latest driver I see listed in Windows Catalog for the Radeon R7 M265 is dated 24 April 2017 version 22.19.162.4. (I have to assume that is superior to the June 2015 one.) Why isn't Windows Update providing at least that April 2017 driver?

I have downloaded Microsoft's tool for selecting a driver to leave alone during update but it does not list the Radeon driver so I can't freeze it. Obviously, I do not want to go so far as to freeze all driver or other updates.

Is anyone else still experiencing such an issue? Is anyone aware of a fix?

Yup, I am facing the same problem.

I am using Lenovo laptop with intel hd graphics and amd radeon r7 M360 graphics.

The catalyst driver from Lenovo site and  latest driver adrenaline from amd site works fine on older windows 10 version 1511 but as soon as windows gets updated to 1709 the bsod occurs. With onekey recovery software on laptop I restored the laptop to factory settings and preventing windows 10 getting automatically updated 1709 or latest 1803.

Putting wifi on metered connection do not help either, after some weeks the upgrade assistant pops up on desktop automatically and downloads update in background. this thing is real pain.

till now I am using my laptop with windows version 1511. Does anyone got any fix?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The above is just my sharing of the hell-like experience of m265 on windows 10. 

In Lenovo ThinkPad E550 there is same problem with AMD Radeon R7 M265 on Windows 10. This bug experience is really horrible.

After the last update of windows and AMD system had been crashing with BSOD showing different Error codes everytime.

So at present I have uninstalled R7 M265 driver using AMD cleanup utility and I am able to login to windows.

But yet there is a hidden fear of getting BSOD at any next boot. It is like a demon who can anytime attack.

As a user we are not sure who is responsible to solve this (AMD ? or Windows ?), but ultimately end-user have been suffering a lot sue to this kind of error. I believe this is a sure miss-communication or miss-handling between AMD driver team and Windows OS team. Mac OS are generally stubborn and have a rigid but systematic way of installing every driver, Which helps users to be worry-free while installing and updating.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

remove  all AMD graphics drivers and  associated software completely  with revouninstaller.exe

restart the computer,

download and install the latest graphics driver for your model below direct link 

for 64bit

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe

for 32bit 

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/beta/win10-32bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.7.1-july19.exe

restart the computer

I am a regular CONTRIBUTOR on docs.micrsosoft.com.
Asus Laptop R542UQ-DM153-Intel_i5-7200u_Nvidia_940mx_2GBvram-16GBram-2TBHDD_2TBHDD_1TB_M.2SSD_Windows10_Ent_20H2_64bit_19042.804.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

...and, as noted earlier, Microsoft reinstalls the driver that causes the BSOD at the next Windows update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has the new windows 10 version (1809) solved it for anyone?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1809 did not solve this issue, people are facing worst issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mostly Amd driver is culprit, so you must try each version untill problems gets solved 
I am a regular CONTRIBUTOR on docs.micrsosoft.com.
Asus Laptop R542UQ-DM153-Intel_i5-7200u_Nvidia_940mx_2GBvram-16GBram-2TBHDD_2TBHDD_1TB_M.2SSD_Windows10_Ent_20H2_64bit_19042.804.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not sure what you are proposing as a solution.

Version of AMD driver? As described earlier, installing a newer AMD driver works but Windows Update over-writes that with the failing driver.

Version of Windows 10? As described earlier, the driver issue has been present in all versions of Windows 10 for several updates, including major ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2021 Views 3,478 Applies to: