Check Disk & Windows 10 Backup & Restore (Windows 7) Contro Panel

I get the following error when using the Windows 10 "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" control panel program. "The Drive has errors \\?\Volume(3bd60ccf-25e3-46a8-9327-dflae7aba93e)" It says "Windows has detected file system corruption on \\?\Volume(3bd60ccf-25e3-46a8-9327-dflae7aba93e). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored."
    There is blue underlined text below this message which says: "Check the disk for errors" If you select it nothing seems to happen. Below that are two boxes "ignore" and "ok". If you choose ignore the program creates an image. If you choose "ok" the program goes back to the choose which disks to backup screen. If you then select next the error screen returns.
    I have run disk check on my drive and there are no errors but I can't run it on UEFI partition (500MB) or the two Recovery partitions (450MB) & (12.86GB) that I see in "computer management\disk management. The backup screen you use to select shows UEFI, Main disk, and Winretools(450MB) and not the (12.86) Recovery.The error must refer to one of those although all three are marked healthy. How do I run check disk on those partitions, I can't select them.
Answer
Answer

Hi, Rick

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are facing currently, and we in Community will try to resolve your issue the best way we can.

As per your query, I understand that you are unable to perform a check disk on some drives in your system. I suggest that you try the step mentioned below and check if you can resolve the issue.

Step 1: Manually performing Check disk.

Warning: Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process. Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted .For safety you can back up your data before using the check disk command.

Use the check disk commands as follows:
a. Press Windows Key + X, then choose Command prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
b. In search window type 'cmd' and ENTER. Right click and select 'Run as administrator'.
c. Type at the command prompt CHKDSK /P and press ENTER to scan the disk.
d. Then type CHKDSK C: /F /R and press ENTER to repair corrupt sectors, if there are any.

NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Once chkdsk completes, boot to the desktop and then check.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost. Please create a backup before performing a check disk.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2022 Views 6,932 Applies to: