Cast to device never works without first rebooting.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and trying to cast to Xbox One. I'm having a very strange problem. Whenever I try to cast to Xbox One, my Xbox One shows up in the Cast to menu but it only has a generic icon and fails instantly. It doesn't even attempt to connect to the device because when I click on the device, it comes up with "Device is not responding" instantaneously. Way too fast for it to be even attempting to connect. However, as soon as I reboot the system, when I click on Cast to device, the proper Xbox One icon appears and it takes a few seconds to make a connection then works fine. Unless you stop the video for any reason. If you stop it, it does the exact same thing, shows a generic icon and instantly comes up with "Device is not responding." Reboot the computer and it starts working again. It also often stops responding on the pc end. When it does that, the movie continues to play but you cannot pause, rewind or anything on either the pc or the Xbox One. You have to stop the video from the Xbox One by hitting the guide button, then the back button to get out of the video player. Then, once again, you have to reboot the pc before it will cast to Xbox One properly.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Blayne,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community

Please post your query related to Xbox on Xbox forum for better assistance.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_on_windows_support/default.aspx

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Why would I do that? This is a Windows 10 issue,  not an Xbox One issue. The link you gave me is for Xbox One on Windows. I want Windows on Xbox One. There is no category in the Xbox One forums to post my question. It doesn't have a PC streaming to Xbox category, only streaming Xbox to PC categories. 

The only categories available are Xbox Apps, Accessories, Gaming on Windows, Social, Store and Family and Safety. My issue does not fall into any of these categories. So I would just get a message to go post on the Windows 10 forums.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue when casing to my Samsung tv.  works only after reboot. NEVER had this issue on win8.1

Resolution would be great.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing here, you are not alone :)

Casting to a Samsung 50H5203 TV, I must reboot my laptop every time.  Running Win10 Home with admin rights on AC 5ghz, TV is on N 5ghz, within 15 feet of the router.  No matter the type of file, size of file, time of day, etc.  This is a Windows 10 issue.  My network is fine, internet is fine, no issues anywhere else.

The sequence for me is to Cast To the file, it locates the TV, contacting device in cast window, errors out as device not responding.  REBOOT laptop, cast to again, file now connects and plays without issue. 

Why does it locate the device, give its name, but then cant connect?  Idle timeout feature, porting, wifi security type, not sure of the issue here?  After reboot it works fine, no issues until the laptop sits idle for a period of time.

Any help would be great, Thanks.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And same here too!  First time I ever tried Cast to Device was yesterday; laptop to Yamaha AVR!  Worked brilliantly.  However, when I tried to "cast" again, it is met with nothing!  I mean, nothing, no error, no anything!

Reboot laptop and I get ONE cast to device... then it's reboot again!

I never used this before WIndows 10 so I have no way of knowing if it's a Windows 10 issue or not!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this,

- Window button open the settings menu, search for "Media streaming" in the find a setting box.

- The Media Streaming Options appear, your devices should be listed.

- Make sure all are checked as "allowed"

- Go into "Customize" link for EACH and EVERY device listed

- Make sure the "Use default settings" box is UNCHECKED and the "Make all of the media in my library available to this device" box is CHECKED with all ratings allowed

This appears to have resolved my issue.  When I first looked, my settings were listed as "default" and since changing this value I have had no issues casting other than a few file support and codec errors which are explainable.  I closed and opened different files for 10 minutes a few times during the day without rebooting and the casting will not crash now.

Hope this helps, thanks.

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this,

- Window button open the settings menu, search for "Media streaming" in the find a setting box.

- The Media Streaming Options appear, your devices should be listed.

- Make sure all are checked as "allowed"

- Go into "Customize" link for EACH and EVERY device listed

- Make sure the "Use default settings" box is UNCHECKED and the "Make all of the media in my library available to this device" box is CHECKED with all ratings allowed

This appears to have resolved my issue.  When I first looked, my settings were listed as "default" and since changing this value I have had no issues casting other than a few file support and codec errors which are explainable.  I closed and opened different files for 10 minutes a few times during the day without rebooting and the casting will not crash now.

Hope this helps, thanks.

This has not worked for me 

Mine had worked in the past and has only given me this error  in the past two days ?

I will look for further help !

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if the device is not getting recognized properly.

I suggest you to perform the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if the device is not getting recognized properly.

I suggest you to perform the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Click on search bar next to Start Menu.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

3. Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Hardware and Devices.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help. 

I have this same issue on W10 Pro.  After a reboot I can cast to my networked Denon AVR-300 receiver no problem But if I close the service and try again to cast to I see my receiver OK but nothing happens when I select it. A cold reboot cures the problem.  I have appplied all the suggestions made in earlier posts.

Derek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cast to device is horrible.

Almost any change to the playlist, like deleting a track, pausing or even skipping to a next song and back will sometimes cause it to go into 'single track only' mode, i.e. playback stops once the current track has finished. Manually stopping playback will under all circumstances lead to 'single track only' mode.

And ofcourse, adding more tracks using drag and drop or using any of the 'cast to...' options is impossible once you hit this state. But that has already been mentioned by a multitude of contributers to this thread...

I employ following strategy in order to somehow be able to play/stream my music to my Denon AVR 2113

- Open task manager

- Open details (it will stick once opened)

- Under applications, select 'Windows Digital Media Controller Application' and click 'End task'.

- Under services, select 'Cast to Device Service' and click 'End task'.

You MUST stick to the order of terminating the services as given above. Do NOT close the 'cast to device' befor closing the media application. Do NOT close the cast to device window in any other way as given above.

If you loose the 'cast to device service' before you could kill it, you might still be able to locate the 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service' and kill that. If not, the only way to get Cast to Device working again is to reboot.

Note that in Windows 7 and 8, the 'Play to' option had none of these issues. Apart from not being able to play Flac files on my Flac-enabled AVR (which was solved using a specific uPnP driver on my windows machine) it was steady as a rock.

[Sarcasm on]

Thanks for yet another great update, Microsoft!

[Sarcasm off]

Now fix it!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 12,988 Applies to: