Brand New Bluray Burner WH14NS40 won't work in Windows 10

I just bought my first Bluray burner, an LG WH14NS40. I hooked it up, installed it in my tower and everything and the darn thing doesn't work. Windows 10 acknowledges the presence of the burner. It shows up under "This PC" and all. I've tried sticking CDs into it, DVDs, Blurays...nothing registers in the drive. I've tried other methods including uninstalling the device driver and altering the registry, but nothing works. Any help would be great.

Hi Jaimetud,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

You can refer the link below and check.

It is compatible with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=Windows%2010&Locale=en-us&Architecture=X64&TextSearch=%2BLG%2BWH14NS40.&Type=Both&CurrentPage=0&TotalPages=1&ShowCriteria=0&SortCriteria=Relevance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14

Try to run Hardware Troubleshooter. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

a. Press Windows Logo Key+X then click on Search screen.

b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes and click on Troubleshooting.

c. In the new window, click View all on the left pane.

d. In the list of options, click on Hardware and devices.

e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.             

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Okay, so it's good to see that the problem isn't in the compatibility. But troubleshooting still doesn't seem to work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just bought this drive and it showed up today. I was already updated to Windows 10. Disk would show up on device manager, but not in explorer. I tried a few things, what worked was doing a uninstall of the driver from device manager, rebooting. After I rebooted, drive worked as expected

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As usual, I ended up solving this problem myself by returning the drive to the seller and ordering up a replacement. Thank you though.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just bought my first Bluray burner, an LG WH14NS40. I hooked it up, installed it in my tower and everything and the darn thing doesn't work. Windows 10 acknowledges the presence of the burner. It shows up under "This PC" and all. I've tried sticking CDs into it, DVDs, Blurays...nothing registers in the drive. I've tried other methods including uninstalling the device driver and altering the registry, but nothing works. Any help would be great.

Just got off the phone with LG customer support minutes ago after spending the last day scouring the interwebs for answers, as my drive worked great under Win 7. She said they're releasing a driver update for Win 10 at the end of October/beginning of November. Hopeful, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't believe it -- at least, not yet. I have the same drive, and LG doesn't have a new W10 driver for it yet. In fact, I can't find any drivers on their website for this model. Firmware, yes, but that's not the problem here. I can't afford to wait for them to get on the stick, so I'm searching for a new burner, preferably made by someone else.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Chris: So apparently I've found (a) solution, for me anyway. Was looking for latest news on the supposed LG driver and no joy but did run across a blurb on a tech site about swapping the SATA cable to another port. It couldn't be that simple yet so stupid, could it? Evidently so, cause after swapping, my BD was recognized. Why it made a difference I have no idea because under Win 7 it didn't. Current Win 10 forums say it won't read Blu-rays, but there is a free Blu-ray player at WWW.LEAWO.COM. It seems safe so far and no popups, I watched Avengers on it fine.

Fingers crossed...

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have a similar problem.... But it does see DVD's and CD's.. It's just not recognizing Blu-rays.... We found anything on this yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I have a similar problem.... But it does see DVD's and CD's.. It's just not recognizing Blu-rays.... We found anything on this yet?

im having the same problem. installed it yeaterday and itll play things with dvd and cd on gom player or LEAWO but wont see blu rays. not sure why but about to return it

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 7, 2023 Views 10,696 Applies to: