Bluetooth headphones are paired but don't autoconnect anymore

Hey folks - appreciate any help.

I have a pair of Sony MDR1-ABT bluetooth headphones. (Amazing BTW, go get some...) In the early versions of Windows 10, when I powered on my headphones, Windows (which was already booted) would detect them and connect automatically. In one of the recent updates, the headphones no longer automatically connect; if I go to Action Center, click Connect, and click on the headphones, they connect and work perfectly. Or if I right-click the volume icon in the task bar, go to Playback Devices, right-click the headphones and click connect, they work fine. It's not the end of the world, but it *is* frustrating that this worked perfectly in past versions. (I have removed and re-paired multiple times but same result.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Mike

Hi Mick,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that your Bluetooth headphones doesn’t connect automatically to your computer even after pairing. We’ll certainly help you with this.

This may occur due to corrupted Windows component. Let’s try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Set the Bluetooth service startup type to Automatic. Sign in to your computer as an administrator user and then follow the steps given below to change the startup type of Bluetooth Support Service.
1. Press Windows Key + R Key.
2. Type services.msc and scroll down to Bluetooth Support Service in the list.
3. Right click on it and select Properties.
4. Set up Start up type to Automatic from the dropdown list.

Method 2: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.
1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
2. Select Troubleshooting.
3. Select View all on the top left corner.
4. Click on Hardware and Devices.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
6. Check if issue persists.

If the issue persist, continue with Method 3.

Method 3: Uninstall and reinstall Bluetooth drivers.
1. Press Windows Key + R on your desktop screen to go to run command box.
2. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
3. Look for Bluetooth driver, right-click and then click Uninstall/Remove Device.
4. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Windows will automatically install the driver.

I would also suggest that you refer the following thread answered by one of Forum Moderator, Rajith to a similar issue and try his suggestions.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-bluetooth-device-is-enabled-and-shows-as-paired/15bfab2d-678e-423f-964b-bd58c78bda6d?tm=1440804957480

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue. We’ll be glad to assist if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

175 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2020 Views 47,539 Applies to: