Audio problem

This is driving me absolutely bananas! I have no sound, have no clue how it happened, and have had several techs from different sites, including Microsoft try to help me get sound back. Four days later, and still no sound at all. It seems we've tried everything with zero results. I'm really at the end of my rope, and getting ready to make a noose at the end of it, just for myself.

BTW, this is a Dell 5755, with a supposed AMD A8 "Quad-core" (yeah, right) CPU, and I have Windows 10, version 1803, JUST written over my previous Windows 10...by a Microsoft tech. It solved nothing.

I would be eternally grateful for any insights, advice or possible solution to this nightmare.

Thank you to all in the community,

Tommy L  

Hi there,

Have a look at this guideline…. there are several things you can try to steer you in the right direction.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026994/windows-fix-sound-problems

Hope it helps !  

Good luck.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there yourself, mr.rob1957,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Very sorry it has taken so long to reply. I've truly had my hands full with this thing.                                     

Took the PC to a Microsoft store, as advised by TWO Level 2 techs, after they went bananas in my laptop with their 'Log-Me-In Rescue" tool. Said there would be no fee, just give them the case #. They tried for 2 solid hours at the store...THREE different techs, and came to the conclusion that "your audio is SHOT". You need a new motherboard...from Dell ( yeah, right ). Cost? probably around 3 Benjamins! You gotta be kidding me!!! I can buy a NEW laptop for that. They tried to help me get one on an installment plan, but the payments were to be made to Dell. Long story short...Dell turned my application down (why does that not surprise me? ). The ONLY other route out was to pair bluetooth speaker(s) / headphones / earbuds to the PC. Have done that and now have audio with earbuds and Bluetooth speakers. The one problem that remains? I WANT MY COMPUTER BACK!! Y'all think I could find a compatible or OEM motherboard on ebay? I've had it apart, but couldn't figure out the second half of removing the motherboard. I can lift it up, but only half of it rises from direct contact with the chassis, and I don't see how to get it the rest of the way out. Looks like it might be riveted in, but that is a guess. 

Now my audio is going in slow motion, and so is the video...on you tube anyway. It sounds like someone is holding one of the reels back on a reel-to-reel tape recorder...that is, if you are old enough to remember those machines. Say a CD is turning at 1/4 the regular speed. That's what it sounds like...with the Bluetooth speaker AND Bluetooth earbuds! I can't win for losing! One step forward...FOUR steps back!!

What do you think about installing a new motherboard? Have any idea if there is any actual soldering involved? I have a lot of electronic soldering experience, but as I type this reply, I haven't been to ebay to see what I can find. What d'ya think? Thoughts? Ideas?  Thanks so much for all of the replies, and helpful interaction among those who are computer geeks, and those of us ( me ) that aren't close yet...BUT, if I can figger out how that M-board comes loose...I can get another one in. Heck, I dunno, I might end up having to buy another new laptop, and I CAN guarantee that it won't have a crooked E on it, either.   really would rather go with what I have here, and FIX THE D**N THING...BUT I simply cannot do it alone. I don't possess that much computer savvy. Solutions need be in layman's terms where possible. 

I DO have what was once a really excellent machine, IMHO. It's an Acer. I got mad as hell one day at the "better half, and slammed my fist into what is now a busted screen. Microsoft wanted TWO HUNDRED BUCKS to fix it. I covered it up with old shirts, stashed it on my closet shelf, where it remains to this day. Do you happen to know how I might get that screen repaired any cheaper than that? BTW, I live in NC...back up in the sticks, but larger cities aren't out of my reach, IF I can find a better price than that which Microsoft had given me. I really appreciate everyone's input here at the Microsoft Community.

Thanks to you, too, mr.rob1957

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tommy,

Sorry to hear about your unsolvable problem. In my opinion, it's not worth going that route. However, if you have the time and are handy around electronics. You could go see on ebay or Amazon if you can find a motherboard for your computer model. As to taking the laptop apart, you can go to YouTube, enter "talking apart" Dell + model number and you will see numerous videos of taking apart the laptop.

Replacing a laptop screen is not that hard if, again, you look for YouTube videos that show you how. I was recently looking for a screen for my laptop and found http://www.screensurgeons.com and had a screen for me for $100. No soldering involved.

If you could get by with your acer, you might even consider installing CHROME OS from CLOUDREADY from

NEVER WARE. Again, look it up on YouTube ! It's all there.

Good luck and hope my suggestions help you in any way. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the latest audio driver from dell

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER04366214M/2/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_51T6N_WIN_6.0.1.8142_A07_01.EXE?uid=36abff1f-4fd6-43eb-e94e-7e13956884d9&fn=Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_51T6N_WIN_6.0.1.8142_A07_01.EXE

I am working as a Mathematics lecturer in a PU college.
Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3593_MS.office365_C2R_2401_v17231.20236_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage8TB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again mr.rob1957,

I will gladly take your pointers and advice into consideration...just as soon as I can afford to go shopping for repair parts. Being on a fixed income makes watching pennies a priority that never was before. I'm sure you understand. 

Thanks so much for all the information you have provided me. I will surely use it to the best of my abilities...which are few when it comes to PC's! LOL

Tom aka Erik_theRed565

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello RAJU.MSC,

I used the driver you provided, and unfortunately, it did not change things at all. I'm afraid those techs @ the Microsoft store I took it to were right, and the Motherboard has the Sound Card integrated onto it. IF the motherboard is toast, then either it is time for a new one (IF it is even close to a reasonable price), or a new laptop. I would love to figure out how the bottom section, (depending on how you're looking at it) comes loose from the chassis. I've had the PC taken apart (per youtube), but didn't see anything about how to remove the motherboard...nor have I shopped at all for one, since I'm afraid the sticker shock might kill me! LOL

Thank you for your input,

Best regards,

Tommy aka Erik_theRed565

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will provide same realtek drivers  from different versions.

Windows11_Pro_64bit_23H2_buildno_22631.3593_MS.office365_C2R_2401_v17231.20236_Intel_i5_13500_Nvidia3060_12GB_GDDR6_RAM_32GB_5600_Storage8TB.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When and where do i find them?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

latest realtek audio driver from relatek 
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

or 

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/DriversForWin10/Audio/Audio_Realtek_Win10_64_VER6018210.zip?_ga=2.77490389.1926984568.1537680159-1099917239.1537183577

or

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/DriverforWin10/Audio/Audio_Realtek_CFL_W10_64_V6018437.zip?_ga=2.77490389.1926984568.1537680159-1099917239.1537183577

or

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/DriverforWin10/Audio/Audio_Realtek_CFL_W10_64_V6018443.zip?_ga=2.60303981.1926984568.1537680159-1099917239.1537183577

or 

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/01AUDIO/Realtek_Audio_8480_UAD_NAHMIC_WHQL.zip?_ga=2.17632505.1926984568.1537680159-1099917239.1537183577

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2018 Views 245 Applies to: