AMD Switchable Graphics not Working after Upgrading to Windows 10

Hello, so after upgrading to windows 10 I ran into this annoying problem...

switchable graphics doesn't appear in the context menu or the catalyst control center...

I installed drivers from windows update (not working)

also installed drivers from amd's official website (no good either)

and the device manager identifies the GPU as AMD 7400M Series

and more over, I'm stuck with the intel GPU and can't use AMD in almost everything !!!!!

My Specefications:

HP Pavilion G6 1066se

intel i5 2nd generation processor

4GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7450m

intel HD 3000

windows 10 64 bit

what is going wrong ?

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2018 Views 11,447 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So unless you use an HDMI cable, you're SOL? That is lame, MS needs to fix this and I will be linking this thread in AMD's forum as well.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem here.

Sony Vaio VPCSB2J9E (with Stamina/Speed physical switch button)

AMD Radeon HD 6470M (in Windows 10 shown as 7400M)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
BIOS R2087H4

Tested both with Windows Update Drivers and AMD Downladed 15.7.1 drivers

Specs:

** GRAPHICS ADAPTER(S) **
Catalyst Driver Version: 15.7
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Chipset manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Video RAM: 2210398208
Driver version: 9.17.10.4229
ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_907B104D&REV_09\3&11583659&1&10
Name: AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series
Chipset manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Video RAM: 536870912
Driver version: 15.200.1046.0
ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6760&SUBSYS_907B104D&REV_00\4&FF5C90C&0&0008
** PROCESSOR, NOTEBOOK AND BIOS INFO **
PC name: VPCSB2J9E
Processor name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz
BIOS name: InsydeH2O Version HuronRiver.3.61.05.2051R2087H4
BIOS manufacturer: INSYDE
BIOS version: R2087H4
** OS INFO ** 
Version: 10.0.10240
Architecture: 64 bits

Sorry this didn't help.

what problem do you have?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sony Vaio VPCSB2J9E with Stamina/Speed physical switch button

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz

AMD Radeon HD 6470M (in Windows 10 shown as 7400M)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
BIOS R2087H4, Muxless Fixed Scheme only, can't be changed

My Laptop has Windows 7 Pro x64 preinstalled. Graphics drivers comes always from Sony support, in an Amd+Intel customized combo. There is no "Switchable graphics" menu in CCC. To switch between Intel and AMD graphics, I have a hardware switch in my keyboard called Stamina/Speed. There is a screen flick when I switch. The Device Manager only shows one device at a time, the AMD or the Intel one, depending of the switch. When in AMD mode, CCC shows config options, when in Intel mode, it does not.

The "Get Windows 10" does not warn of any incompatible device to upgrade. Once in Windows 10, Windows Update installs AMD and Intel drivers automatically. The Device Manager shows both devices at the same time, but the machine is really using the Intel one. I can't switch/use AMD in any way. The speed/stamina button does nothing. CCC does not show any config option at all. Changing energy settings in Windows or Intel Graphics settings does nothing (as some people suggests). GPU-Z shows info of both devices, and I can see AMD sensor info trends (temperature/clock) slightly changing.

Tested AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 with same result. Tested Leshcatlabs UnifL 15.7 (Intel+AMD) with same result. Tested Leshcatlabs UnifL 14.4 2.4 (the last one supporting Fixed mode, but not designed for Windows 10) (Intel+AMD) and the AMD device shows a warning in Device Manager about not properly installed (code 43). With recommended install procedure (uninstall previous, amdcleanuputility, reboot, install intel, reboot, install amd, reboot).

I have read a lot of info on Internet about Windows 10, AMD o both (not clear) not supporting Fixed switching, effectively abandoning support of all switchable graphics laptops older than circa 2011, from Sony, Dell, HP and others. Is this a strategy to sell more computers? If the code and the drivers were there, why drop them? Will Microsoft do something to fix this in the future?

Sorry this didn't help.

my laptop was launched in 2011 and dynamic mode works on amd/intel graphics win7 fixed mode. In Windows10 doesn't supports fixed mode, neither early updates from amd, only supports dynamic mode, in my laptop with win10 works great. If you open the taskbar do you see both icons(amd and intel)? if yes so they are working

If you want to choose which gpu to use, need to open switchable graphics config, on amd catalyst, and choose it by application

if you say that you have a switch on the pc, dont use it, because that wont work anymore in win10 or updates amd since 14.4.

Image to explain (sorry by the language, im portuguese, so my system is in portuguese)

Sorry this didn't help.

The problems is that Catalyst does not show the majority of menu options (Games, Video, Energy, etc.), including configure switchable. Is the same problem abdalmoniemsnn77 and ARGranger explained in the first posts.

Sorry this didn't help.

Jesinta Rozario,

Why do you choose not to repond to the follow up post of August 4, 2015 by abdalmoniem?

Basic courtesy dictates it, and so does professionalism.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your input seems reasonably acceptable.  However, you do not provide any profrssional or technical background to establish the weight value of your input.  You could be a MS shill trying to direcy the blame away from MS.

AMD and the PC manufacturers do need to be held accountable.

But MS is far from blameless with this and other Win 10 issues. Some examples are:

"MS made the decision to move Windows away from fixed switching support around Windows 8. This has finally happened with Windows 10 where support for fixed switching drivers was dropped.  Your laptop is forced to use dynamic switching with the new AMD drivers. (No matter the BIOS configuration) So your AMD card works on Windows 10 albeit in dynamic switching mode only!" 

It seems reasonable to consider "fixed" switchable graphics as actually hardware owner switchable graphics, which the hardware owner can control.

If your statements are accurate, MS failed to adequately provide the info you have.

MS did NOT provide this info in a clear and explicit manner to their general customer base.  And still has not done so.  (Unless of course you are that instrument.)

The MS Win 10 compatibility App FAILED to report that WIN 10 would handle hardware owner switchable graphics differently, or how, than in Win 7, 8, or 8.1.  (Fore warned is fore armed.)

In not providing this info in a clear and explicit manner, and not coding the MS Win 10 compatibility App to report that WIN 10 would handle hardware owner switchable graphics differently, MS was at best negligent and at worse fraudulent.

After permanently disabling the hardware owner switching functionality which we spent our money on, not MS, without notice or warning, MS does not have the decency to provide a method in which one would know if the more powerful discrete video card is being properly utilized except by visual observation or possibly relying on AMD CCC which may, or may not, function properly. 

MS chose to disregard those people preferring to use their more powerful discrete video card for viewing even when not required, and thus invoked, for high-end games or extreme photo and video editing.  (i.e those visually challenged, or those who enjoyed viewing maps, paintings, or photos with a clarity better provided by the more powerful discrete video card than the weak Intel HD Graphics 3000.)

Living with a crippled Laptop or PC because of decisions made unilaterally by MS, and failures by other hardware and software providers, is not an acceptable solution, either permanently or temporarily, by a reasonable person.

The ONLY reasonable solution is to return to the OS that provided the full functionality of the hardware one spent their money on.

In the future when the life cycle of one's hardware has reasonably ended, or failed, then one can consider purchasing new hardware that may, or may not, function properly running Win 10 or Win XX. 

Until then SAYONARA.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I am facing the same/similar problem with my HP DV6 notebook from 2010 with fixed AMD switching Mobility Radeon GPU's. I updated to Windows 10 and graphics got sluggish, error messages in device manager etc. I did try the same/similar fixes as described in this thread. Eventually I gave up and rolled back to W7 and things worked again.

The facts as I understand it is the following:

* Fixed GPU switching was replaced by dynamic GPU switching on HW during 2012.

* Windows 10 only support dynamic switching. I ran the W10 compatibility test and it did not state anything about this quite important disability. Instead promoting upgrade.

* HP has made comment's about this, stating that dynamic switching can not work on HW designed for fixed switching and vice versa. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03048374

* There is no option in my BIOS (latest upgrade) to switch between e.g. fixed or dynamic, nor to decide to use only one of the GPU's.

* Given the above, dynamic switching will not work on my HW (according to HP statement) and W10 only supports dynamic switching. A catch 22? By that my HP laptop is excluded from upgrade, unless I accept non-working HDMI, stuttering Youtube videos, error messages etc.

* Have I understood this correctly or are there any work around? E.g. I could accept for now, if there was a way to lock W10 to only use the more powerful GPU if any kind of switching won't work?

To make it even worse, my integrated HD4000 series GPU is no longer supported by MS (WDDM issue) and the HD5000 gets error messages that it is not working properly. Everything works fine in W7.

I would accept if MS would have stated that there might be serious difficulties upgrading to W10, toned down the "everybody on W7, we wan't you on W10, upgrade for free". There is still a quite big crowd using perfectly good laptops with dual fixed switching GPU's up until 2012 models that are not able to upgrade properly and are not warned by MS either about this. 

This is probably an example of what happens when there are several chef's in the soup, MS, AMD and HP (or select your brand here) and none of them really bother at this point regarding this catch 22.

Sorry this didn't help.

Some of that points are true, but others arent totally true because, what i research, in your 1st and 2nd points are true, but on the 3rd i have not sure because my laptop was launched in 2011, on win7 was with fixed mode, and now with win10, dynamic mode works very great. In 4th point, of course bios wont have fixed mode option, because win10 only supports dynamic mode. Now understand, if you roll back to win7, you only be able to update amd catalyst to the 14.4 version, because after that update, amd only made updates to dynamic mode, and wont make more updates to fixed mode. If your laptop wont work on win10 i suggest that you buy a new one, with win8.1 and upgrade to win7. But remember to not choose dual gpu on the new laptop, that make very troubles on updates.

Sorry this didn't help.