After installing a driver update “Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762” you lose access to your connected phone or portable device

Updated with a solution (3/22/17)

Please verify this is your experience before working through the solution below.

An incorrect device driver was released for Windows 10, on March 8, 2017, that affected a small group of users with connected phones or portable devices.  After installation, these devices are not detected properly by Windows 10, but are affected in no other way. 

We removed the driver from Windows Update the same day, but if the driver had already installed, you may still be having this issue.

You can check if you installed it by looking in your Windows 10 update history.

From Start, choose Settings, then Update and Security, Windows Update, and then select Update History.

This driver will be listed as Microsoft – WPD – 2/22/2016 12:00:00 AM - 5.2.5326.4762. If it is in the list, try the methods below to remove the driver and fix the issue.

To resolve this problem,
Microsoft has developed a driver troubleshooter that can be downloaded and run on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 PCs experiencing this issue.

Solution:
    1. Download the Windows troubleshooter here and click Run to launch.
    2. Click Next to step through the troubleshooter.  It will ask to “Find a fix or workaround for new issue 108018”.  Click Next again.
    3. The troubleshooter will detect problems and if all goes well, you should see a screen informing you that it fixed “Emerging issue 108018".

4. Click Close to exit the troubleshooter.

Previous manual steps to remove the problem driver:

Method 1: Use a System Restore Point

1. Press Windows Key + R to bring up Run.
  2. In Run, type rstrui and then press OK.
  3. If a system restore point is available, it will show in System Restore.  Follow the steps to restore your system to a point prior to the March 8 install of this driver.

Method 2: Roll back the device driver and remove from system

Part 1: Roll back the driver (When finished, you must complete Part 2 or the incorrect driver will reinstall)

1. Press Windows Key + X and then choose Device Manager in the menu.
  2. Look for the device with a yellow and red mark next to it.  It should be your phone or other connected device.
  3. Press-and-hold or right-click on the device and choose Update Driver Software.
  4. You may need to reboot and reconnect the device. If so, follow these steps again to get back to the driver update.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Choose Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
  7. Check Show compatible hardware, select MTP USB Device, and then choose Next.
  8. Finish the install and reboot your PC. Verify that the mobile device is detected.

Part 2: Prevent the driver from reinstalling

1. Press Windows Key + X, and in the menu click on Command Prompt (Admin), and then choose Yes on the prompt.
  2. Type pnputil.exe -e and hit Enter.  This will list installed device drivers.
  3. Scroll through the list looking for the description that matches the one in the below example (except for the .inf file’s published name).  Make a note of the .inf file name associated.  It should be something like oem##.inf with a one or two digit number after the oem in the name, and have the Driver date and version as shown in the following example:

Example:
Published name :            oem42.inf

Driver package provider :   Microsoft

Class :                     Portable Devices

Driver date and version :   02/22/2016 5.2.5326.4762

Signer name :               Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

4. Now type pnputil.exe -d oem##.inf where the ## is the number in the file name noted below.  Example: oem62.inf.

5. Hit Enter and the incorrect driver is now deleted from your system.  When you disconnect and reconnect your device, it should not   reinstall the incorrect driver.

Regards.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 137,088 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Why not just give us an update to correct the problem that Microsoft caused and stop giving us bad updates. 

Just wanted to add my note of thanks for posting this solution, Jestoni Mac.  I found the solution elsewhere, too, but nicely written up here and easy to follow.  I would suggest one possible addition (that has appeared elsewhere) -- when I went through the Device Manager > Update Driver routine I ended up with three possible choices to pick:  "MTP Device", and then two, identical "MTP USB Device" selections.  So it was head scratching time.  My brain's logic told me to proceed through them serially.  Yeah, "MTP Device" fails.  So much for logic.  It was actually the second choice (the first of the "MTP USB Device" selections) that worked/fixed things.  I don't know what the third "MTP USB Device" does, but I know I am not going to try it to find out.

FWIW, the device that this update screwed up was a Lumia Icon (929) -- a Windows Phone.  I have found it impossible not to join the griper group on this and whine just a little.  It is a WINDOWS PHONE (just in case the previous reference didn't quite register).  It goads me that a Windows Update screws up a Windows/Microsoft hardware device.  That should, like, never happen.  Right?

OK, OK, so this particular driver update was written by a third party vendor.  But as another poster queried, does nobody at Microsoft USE a Windows Phone to vet third party software being pushed via Windows Update?  Actually, I already suspect the (sad) answer to that question -- walk into any Microsoft Store and ask the salespeople to produce the phone they use.  Yeah, I think the results will be quite telling.  It just saddens me, essentially a lifetime loyalist, to be forsaken.  OK.  Whine over.

Mein Problem nach dem Update: die Tastatur kennt keine Leertaste + obere Tastenreihe (Zahlen & Symbole) mehr.

Wie kann ich das permanente Nachladen der Updates stoppen?

Das alte Backup - vor dem Update -läuft fehlerfrei.

Gruß aus dem Bergischen Land

Anyone tried this method? Worked for me.
C:\Windows\INF\  select "wpdmtp.inf "
Right click on it and select install.

For sure a restart.

(all-completed)

wpdmtp.inf did solved the problem on my lumia xl 950. There is also a wpdmtphw.inf but I did not installed this one. 

For me, it was "oem45.inf" that I had to remove. This update was not just available for a couple hours, it was up for at least a day or two. 

This whole ordeal would be so much easier if, oh I dunno, Microsoft just released another patch, that checked if we had that driver installed and DELETED IT THEMSELVES TO FIX THEIR MESS!!!!

I was able to fix my issue because I am aware how this works, but I really don't expect someone else with less technical know-how to know what to do or even know what to look up to fix this issue, this would result in them bringing their device(phone/tablet) and computer to a repair shop, waste a bunch of money, all to fix this issue that Microsoft caused.

My backup drive stopped working and after much mucking around I assumed it had died, it was quite old. So then I went and bought a new backup drive  only to discover that too wouldn't work. $NZ90.00 down the drain.

So now I have to go thru the above procedure to fix a MS stuff up.

Surely if MS recognise that problem it would have been cheaper to add a fix to Windows Update to remove the faulty driver and save Home users like me from wasting money???

This is the first problem I have had with Win 10 so I am disappointed MS put it back onto the Home users to fix THEIR created problem. A lot of Home users aren't even going to know where to look for a solution 

Doesn't seem to work for me. I don't see the MTP device in Device Manager. Also, cannot restore system. Will lose files, I guess. Looks like this update was pulled from the backend. Any idea if an updated driver is on it's way? Not able to connect my 950 to do abackup. 

It prevented my Garmin gps from being detected.

Since it was a forced update, how about putting out an update that fixes the "fix."

Like many others have said, that is just one example with what is wrong with forced updates.

Hey, AbhayV.  Don't know if this will help you or not.  When I was having to trouble-shoot this (emphasis on "having to" -- per my post above, none of us should be having to do this, especially on Microsoft hardware) I had inconsistent results when unplugging and re-plugging my Lumia Icon as far as how Device Manager would identify it.  Sometimes it would show up as "Lumia 929" (or some such) and others it would show up as "Unknown Device".  In both cases, though, it would have a "yellow bang" on it (yellow triangle with exclamation point).  If I uninstalled the "Unknown Device" via Device Manager and then re-scanned for new hardware, it would consistently re-identify as "Unknown Device".  If I left it plugged in and re-booted, it would (occasionally) re-identify as "Lumia 929" (so I had confidence it was, indeed, the right hardware device).

Did I mention none of us should have to be going through this much rigmarole to trouble-shoot Microsoft hardware?  Yes?  OK, just checking.

It is only when you use the "Update Driver Software" routine in Device Manager on the specific hardware device (following Jestoni Mac's instructions) that you will see the "MTP Device" and "MTP USB Device" selections (see my post above).

But like I said, I don't know if this is your situation or not.  But maybe it will help somebody.

I didn't discover this problem  until I tried to download files to my wife's Sansa Fuze.

I found an informative article on https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/09/microsoft-releases-yet-another-botched-driver/ and the solution of manually installing a MTP USB device driver from the computer worked fine and seems much less involved than the MS "solution."  I don't know if this will fix the problem of the driver reinstalling.

In my opinion MS owes its customers a big apology for distributing this defective update.   This apology is especially appropriate for Windows 10 users who are subject to these updates with little or no control. 

It took me some time to find the problem and solution to this problem and MS should take more care not to distribute defective updates, especially when those updates are automatically downloaded and installed on Windows 10.

Thanks.