5.1 Channel Surround Sound not working in Windows 10.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Upon doing so my 5.1 surround sound home theater system is no longer working.  It is a Samsung CT-5550 Home Theater System.

I am using an Optical cable from my Home Theater system into the back of the motherboard.

I have installed Realtek's Windows 10 driver, Gigabytes Windows 10 driver, the driver that came with my motherboard, that previous worked on Windows 7 and fiddled with all manner of settings between all of them and nothing.  It is not working.

When I set the output to 5.1 and run a test, it tells me Test Tone failure.

The highest output I can get is 2.1 channel @ 48hz.  I can get 2.1 @ 92khz but it's spotty.  The curious thing is, when I test the Encoded option for Dolby, it works.  I can hear it out of all speakers.

Please someone, anyone, fix this for me.

For reference, here is what I'm looking at.

This is my speaker system.

When I test the Encoded Format Dolby Digital, the test runs through all the speakers and I can hear the tones.

Dolby Digital Plus is listed as "On" but for some reason did not show in screenshot.

This is what I get once I set both Realtek control panel and default format to both 5.1 channel surround sound and run a test.

All is set as it should be, it's just not working.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Type winver in your search box. The way I di it was to  use media creation tool. I kept files and folders and didn't touch anything afterwards. I'm leaving windows to sort the drivers out and defered upgrades until they've defo sorted it. I'm using optical out on my gigabyte mobo. It plays test tone and everything is now getting decoded to 5.1 dts. All my games, movies and music. I switch to 2.1 on music though...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Right, I'll do it when I get home, now I'm at work and the notebook that I'm using show 10586.3.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

M1 is the method , not the make the A1 method !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to report, I'm using the 10586.3 version and it's working fine. I don't use the modified files, my mobo support dolby by default. Just to know, I use DDL, don't have native support for DTS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So it was fixed but now isn't....

Using a soundblaster X-fi 5.1 pro and I am hearing the test tone, it is showing as Dolby on my surround sound but the audio is not 5.1....

Windows 10586.3

This has ruined Fallout 4 for me....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In addition I have tried a workaround whereby you select "speakers" as opposed to "spdif" in the sound menu but this only outputs the left and right channels meaning if you turn your back to someone when they are speaking their voice disappears.  At least with spdif it is outputting all 5 channels to the left an right speakers so I don't miss anything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem all audio is working analogue and digital with Realtek drivers except for DDL and DTS Interactive they only play two channel in game and in test.

I notice that if I don't install Realtek audio drivers (using windows HD audio driver) and select speakers not spdif and look at surround sound options I get 2 versions of 5.1 to choose from, the old version were the side are rears and the new version were side are sides.

I get no rear sounds from either of them but if i set it to 7.1 but remove rear speakers leaving side speakers on when configuring setup I get surround sound working but I see an option in enhancement gets turned on called channel phantoming. I assume that's what is mixing rear with sides because I removed rears after selecting 7.1.

Ok what the ? I just moved my 3.5mm from side to rear now it works in both 5.1 versions it plays rear sound even if i play the test that shows sides not rears even though rears are now plugged in, Im a little confused.

Realtek drivers force sides to be plugged in, not rears but windows drivers give both 5.1 options rear or side but cable must be plugged into rear to hear anything from side speakers again what the ?

Oh I got another one is it just me but have games always not played sound through center channel I could swear it did but after last windows update it doesn't except for Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain I get voice only from it no sounds from actual wilderness like a fire if i spin around center does nothing. Need to test more games.

Star Citizen is the same no sound from center channel even in the music from the G-lock bar and I'm sure it used to before update but I could be wrong and i'm losing my mind on if it did or didn't I just never took to much notice and I can't hear footsteps like I used to in Star Citizen if anyone play's that game let me know if footsteps come through your center speaker or front left and right. 

EDIT The above is game specific The crew has engine sounds through center metal gear has vocal movies have everything ect

oh and when I have Realtek installed I'm using modded dll to get DDL and DTS interactive but again only two channel.

PS I found this on the net digging around if you have Realtek installed but don't have bass management its in registry under Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Realtek -> AECBF -> icrcAudioProcessingDemo -> AdvGCC and there is a value cut_off_frequency witch has a decimal value of 6000, I think that this value stands for 60.00Hz, I changed to 20000 and after reboot my bass problem was solved

thanks to Ladron in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44013-M6F-Audio-Bass-Crossover-Frequency I changed mine to 100hz or 10000 but remember its only if your amps don't have frequency control or you cant access the option in realtek.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

oh and when I have Realtek installed I'm using modded dll to get DDL and DTS interactive but again only two channel.

Yes - 10586.3 caused that. It was working in the original th2.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well for me, Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive were non functional with the slow release updates (modded drivers)

Now that I'm on 10586.3, everything's back to normal. DTS Interactive has disappeared, but at least, Dolby Digital Live is working with all channels ingame (tested with Star Wars: The Old Republic). The Windows sound test outputs on only 2 channels though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Kianouch, we aren't talking about the same thing - working 10586.1, broken again 10586.3.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2021 Views 218,483 Applies to: