5.1 Channel Surround Sound not working in Windows 10.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Upon doing so my 5.1 surround sound home theater system is no longer working.  It is a Samsung CT-5550 Home Theater System.

I am using an Optical cable from my Home Theater system into the back of the motherboard.

I have installed Realtek's Windows 10 driver, Gigabytes Windows 10 driver, the driver that came with my motherboard, that previous worked on Windows 7 and fiddled with all manner of settings between all of them and nothing.  It is not working.

When I set the output to 5.1 and run a test, it tells me Test Tone failure.

The highest output I can get is 2.1 channel @ 48hz.  I can get 2.1 @ 92khz but it's spotty.  The curious thing is, when I test the Encoded option for Dolby, it works.  I can hear it out of all speakers.

Please someone, anyone, fix this for me.

For reference, here is what I'm looking at.

This is my speaker system.

When I test the Encoded Format Dolby Digital, the test runs through all the speakers and I can hear the tones.

Dolby Digital Plus is listed as "On" but for some reason did not show in screenshot.

This is what I get once I set both Realtek control panel and default format to both 5.1 channel surround sound and run a test.

All is set as it should be, it's just not working.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm actually curious about how and why it happens, can you go into detail?

I suppose I should ask about an ETA for the fix.

There are actually a couple of surround-sound issues that we are working on fixes for.

One issue is specific to Windows Store apps - there's a bug in the Media Foundation Streaming Audio Renderer that breaks playing compressed content to an external receiver from a Store app. Desktop apps are OK though.

Another issue is specific to surround sound setups that use an "encoding APO" - that is, where the Sound control panel's Advanced tab has a compressed format as the "Default Format".

If the fixes pan out, we'll post them on Windows Update. I'll try to remember to update this thread with the KB article numbers when that happens.

Matthew van Eerde

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Another issue is specific to surround sound setups that use an "encoding APO" - that is, where the Sound control panel's Advanced tab has a compressed format as the "Default Format".

If the fixes pan out, we'll post them on Windows Update. I'll try to remember to update this thread with the KB article numbers when that happens.

That last one, is that affecting the majority of us?

I connect to my Samsung CT-5550 via Optical cable direct to my motherboard.

You said a few, so there are even more than those going on?

I would appreciate that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Realtek / Gigabyte / 5.1 here too.

I thought I had the same problem though I'm using analog coax rather than optical out; symptoms were that in spite of the upgrade remembering I had 5.1 speakers only front-left and front-right worked. 

However the problem turned out to be that the Win 10 upgrade "lost" the coax assignment settings. Rear had changed to "mic in" and centre/subwoofer wasn't assigned. This isn't obvious from the Realtek config screen where all six speakers are shown and seem to be selected in turn when you click "test".

Right-click the blue green and pink sockets in the Realtek Audio Manager and choose "connector retasking" if this applies to you.

kempshott

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have Realtek and using analog connection but i'm getting the same symptom as those using optical connections.  I right click on the green and pink sockets in the Audio manager but I don't get an option for "connector retasking".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using analog connections and i'm getting the same issue after upgrading today.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

During the Preview period, when we had this issue with the analog connections.  We changed our speakers to 7.1 instead of 5.1 in the Sounds Control Panel item.  Playback tab, select your playback device and press the configure button.  Select 7.1 speaker output , hit next and then just uncheck the speakers that you don't have.

Windows Insider since 10/1/2014
Windows 98 Beta Tester

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sweet, that actually works!  Thanks.  I'd still like to see this actually fixed though because I shouldn't have to fool my PC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay another update, I unplugged that black plug (supposed to be the rear/side) from the black socket and reconnected it to the gray socket.  Only then am I able to use 5.1 and have the side/rear speakers working during the audio test.  Did the motherboard audio connections change during the upgrade?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe it's chipset-dependant. This is what I see:

kempshott

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's what my REALTEK GUI used to look like before the upgrade, it looks completely different now after it was updated to the latest driver along with Windows 10. There's still a diagram of the sockets, but when I right click all I see is "Audio Configuration" which does absolutely nothing when I click on it.

Also instead of "Side Pair" being greyed out, it is now "Rear Pair" that is greyed out.

Anyways, my former "rear" speakers were always on my "sides" to begin with.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2021 Views 218,519 Applies to: