Windows apps stopped accepting keyboard input.

I was using the Windows 10 calculator app today, but unlike every other time, when I tried to use my wireless 10-key nothing seemed to work. I could use the mouse to click on the numbers, but nothing from the keyboard.

I figured that was a little strange, so I closed the calculator app and opened it back up; no dice. So, of course I moved on to rebooting the entire system. Still the same.

I turned on Chrome because I thought that maybe it was just the keyboard. Everything worked perfectly.

Remembering that I have had problems with the calculator before (it stopped loading entirely, and the only way I made it work was to reinstall windows), I set out to check the settings and use the send feedback option to complain.

Wouldn't you know it, that didn't work either. This made me a little suspicious so I opened Windows Settings. That didn't accept any of my keyboard input either. On a whim I tried the "Touch Keyboard" to see if it would work. Nope.

I can navigate settings and control the calculator with the mouse. I can use the windows button to open the Start Menu (or whatever it's called now). I've tried plugging other keyboards in, rebooting several times. Nothing is changing.

I'm disinclined to believe that it's the keyboard, due to the fact that I'm using the same keyboard to type this. Everything works fine in all my apps that don't have that pretty, Windows 10 look.

I'm worried that to make it work in a way that doesn't cause 100 other problems, I'll have to reinstall Windows yet again.

So my actual question is...How do I fix this?

Answer
Answer

Kindly try to run the SFC /scan or DISM on your computer and check to see if it resolves the issue. The steps are provided on this Wiki Article by  ZigZag3143.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2020 Views 989 Applies to: