Windows 10 USB hard drive incorrectly identified as SCSI(UAS) ?

Since update KB3081448 my Seagate Expansion 1Tb USB 3 portable drive formatted NTFS is not shown in File Manager. I noticed when using "Safely Remove Hardware ...." it shows the disk as SCSI (UAS). I was using this successfully for File History. It still performs perfectly on my Windows 7 desktop and disk check shows no errors. Usb pen drives are identified correctly. My system is a Lenovo E520 Edge 64bit Windows 10 Professional.  Is there a fix for this?

Since posting this I have tried another portable drive - a WD Elements 2Tb USB drive also formatted NTFS which also fails to appear in File Manager but works perfectly on my Windows 7 Desktop PC

Hello mike,

Thank you for showing interest in Windows 10.

This issue might arise due to driver conflict. I suggest you to disconnect all the external devices except keyboard and mouse and follow the steps below:

Step 1: Remove Ghost Devices

Note:Ghost devices are the previously installed devices which are not connected but the drivers for that device is still present in the computer and sometimes shows in the devices list.

To get rid of unwanted drivers, devices, or services, use the following steps:

1. Open the Start menu.

2. Type cmd in search box.

3. Select cmd from the displayed list, right click and Open as administrator.

4. At the command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter.

(Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)

1. On the next command prompt line, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.

2. In the Device Manager Console, from the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.

As you expand the different drivers and devices in the device manager, you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your PC; but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose uninstall to remove it from the system completely.

Note that ghost devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you do not need. Be careful that you do not change too many devices.

Once you have removed the ghost drivers completely follow step 2.

Step 2: Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

If you are unable to find the drivers for Windows 10, you may try to install the drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1. 

Firstly download the driver from your computer's manufacturer website and then install it. 

Refer (Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows 

Note: This link also applies to Windows 10.

Once you have followed these steps, connect the hard drive and let it install the plug-n-play driver automatically and check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Regards,
Sahil Bali

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am sorry but I think the advice above does not apply in my case. I have been a Windows 10 insider since January using this laptop and these disk drives have been working fine with all the Builds since then including the 10240 release version now installed. As I stated in my previous message the problem has arisen only since the latest cumulative update so I believe it is down to Microsoft to provide an update to reverse whatever was in that update which has caused the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried your solution but this had no effect other than making start up faster.

On considering the situation I know that when adding a fixed disk to a system one needs to assign a drive letter to the new installed drive. I tried the same with my portable drives though Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Storage > Disk Management and found the portable drive was shown and after assigning a drive letter the drive was accessable.

This surely is a BUG always on always previous versions of windows when attaching a portable drive, the system automatically assigns a drive letter and makes the drive available!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mike,

Sorry the above solutions didn't work for you.  Can you submit a Windows Feedback bug using repro mode with the feedback app as described here (note, repro mode is only available to those who are part of the insiders program): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2015/08/17/filing-usb-feedback-with-repro-mode-in-windows-10.aspx and include the following in the bug: 

If the issue is happening all the time or only after certain events (such as waking from sleep)

If all your ports are not working, or if this is only happening on a specific port

Thank you!

Kristin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Mike Hitchcock
@KristenF [MSFT]

It has nothing to do with ports - I've been complaining about this software management flaw in Windows 8 for over a year now, and the problem never happened when I used Windows 7 whatsoever.

I do know that certain "cutbacks" were made to Windows 8 during its development; the removal of native playback support for DVDs in Windows Media Player, for example, and heard that a custom USB middleware is used even for devices that don't actually need a driver to run...

I thought with this new OS this problem would be solved, but nothing appears to have changed and, in the past week since new updates were installed, it has gotten a lot worse.  Now every time I turn on the computer in a day, I have to uninstall my backup drives in Device Manager and reboot just to use them!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

Method 1

Try running the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if it helps:

If the issue still persist, try method 2.

Method 2

• Go to C:\windows\inf

• Right click on the usbstor.inf file and select "cut".  

• Then go to your desktop and right click and "paste".  

• Plug in your USB device, it should now show up normally.  

• Then, do the reverse "cut" and "paste" the same file back into c:\windows\inf from your desktop.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWHZUmOF-xM

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I"d been facing the same problem, ie Win 10 could not recognise USB storage device. Disk Manager showed partitions , but no Letter was assigned, and did not show up in the File Manager, and it was not possible to assign Letter to the drive etc.

Solution is describe here in detail: https://www.howtogeek.com/235824/how-to-clean-a-flash-drive-sd-card-or-internal-drive-to-fix-partition-and-capacity-problems/

Steps: Win 10 Command Prompt (Admin)
DISKPART
list disk

select disk (be careful to select the right disk #)

clean

When disk is cleaned, go back to Disk Manager, and initialize your disk, simple follow instructions. 
Finally your USB devive will have a Letter assigned and will show up in File Manager.

(This solution means that all the content previously stored on your USB device will be cleared of course)

Good luck

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi,

Method 2

• Go to C:\windows\inf

• Right click on the usbstor.inf file and select "cut".  --> using windows10, you cant cut the selected link

• Then go to your desktop and right click and "paste".  --> where to paste the link

• Plug in your USB device, it should now show up normally.  

• Then, do the reverse "cut" and "paste" the same file back into c:\windows\inf from your desktop.

more details would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Ash

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2020 Views 24,636 Applies to: