Windows 10 Phantom Key Issue 2017

I have Windows 10 installed since last winter 2017 and installed a new keyboard and mouse after I began experiencing problems with a phantom "control" key issue that has plagued this system off and on since about two months after the new system was put together. I've looked up solutions and gone through most of the suggestions with this result: the problem has been intermittent and seems to go away (resolve itself temporarily...sometimes only for seconds). The problem actually went away for a couple of months and I thought maybe Microsoft put a fix in one of their updates. But no, the problem came back last week with a vengeance. This is how the problem manifests: I open up a browser (Chrome) and type in the top bar or google search, and say the letter is a "p",  it then acts as if I've pressed the "control" key (ie the phantom key problem) and opens up a print window. The problem also manifests with the scroll wheel on my Logitech mouse. It's set up to move the page or content up and down the screen, but it acts as if I’ve pressed the “control” key and zooms in and out of the screen. The only thing that seems to work, and only for variable lengths of time, is a combination or pressing the two “shift” keys five times in a row, and/or just pressing the “control” key before I scroll or type. The problem appears on my set up  with Chrome and also with Photoshop CC 2017. In Photoshop it’s the same thing, a phantom “control” key issue leading to extreme frustration. I’ve had a Facebook conversation going about this issue and I’m not alone, even though one of the local tech support shops I use has not heard of the problem. Please help me:

Lee Meier

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures / PC

Hi Lee,

It's possible that this is happening due to outdated drivers. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is currently on your computer? To check, click Start, type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
  • Are you using a third-party antivirus program?
  • Does this also happen when using other browsers?
  • Have you checked if this issue happens when you're using a different keyboard?
  • Since you've done a lot of troubleshooting, exactly what steps have you done?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Windows 10 v. 1703(OSbuild 15063.608) is what was installed last winter. I'm using the free version of Avast anti virus software. The problem persists across multiple software programs including Word, Photoshop CC, Chrome, etc. After the problem started I replaced the keyboard and mouse with a Logitech system. I’ve followed any and all recommendations I’ve run across

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We suggest performing a clean boot to find out if this behavior is caused by a third-party program. This will load Windows with minimal drivers and programs, preventing software conflicts from occurring. If the Control key issue stops occurring in a clean boot environment, check the section How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot for what to do next.

Note: To return your computer back to normal, check the section How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

Let us know if this erratic Control Key behavior stops occurring in a clean boot environment. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This message is from my iPhone because Windows 10 and the phantom control key make it impossible to type anything today. That may change later when I try again. The problem comes and goes. 

So I looked up how to reboot to Safe Mode and it said to hold down the shift key while clicking on the restart button. What I get after that is confusing and not Safe Mode as I thought it would appear. I get three options: 

-continue to Windows 10

-troubleshoot

-turn off pc

So how do I actually get to Safe Mode, for starts.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To find out how to boot into safe mode, check this link. After doing so, you can perform a clean boot by following the steps listed here

Let us know if the erratic behavior of the Control Key still occurs in either of these two conditions. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I'm in Safe Mode now and indeed the problem seems to be gone. I say "seems" because the phantom Control key problem has been intermittent and was gone for about 2 months until a few ago, when it came back with a vengeance. 

So now what's the recommended method to find out which of all my software programs is messing with this, or is it a Windows 10 problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to confirm, have you already performed a clean boot as well? In this article, check the section How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot for what to do next. This section has the steps that you need to do to isolate the cause of the Control Key issue.

Let us know if you find what's causing the Control key to malfunction by following these steps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not  sure what a Clean  Boot is, much less done one already. For the past couple of days, the problem seems to be in remission again. If the problem went away while I was operating in Safe Mode,  then what is the procedure for finding the conflicting program? Why would the problem be intermittent and not consistent? Something seems flaky with Windows 10 is my hunch. Although Adobe Photoshop CC 2017, is also a buggy program compared to Photoshop 5. What do you think?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To find out if a third-party program is affecting your keyboard's performance, kindly follow these steps carefully:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
  2. Click Start.
  3. Type System Configuration and press Enter.
  4. Tap or click the Services tab, and then tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
  5. Tap or click to select the upper half of in the Service list.
  6. Tap or click OK, and then tap or click Restart.
  7. After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
    * If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through 6, but clear the lower half of the in the Service list that you originally selected.
    * If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through 6, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    * If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the Service list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no service causes the problem, go to step 8.
  8. Repeat steps 1 and 3 in this section.
  9. Tap or click the Startup tab, and then tap or click to select the upper half of in the Startup Item list.
  10. Click OK, and then click Restart.
    * If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 8 and 9, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the Startup Item list that you originally selected.
    * If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 8 and 9, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    * If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no Startup Item causes this problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps 1 through 7 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in each step.
  11. After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then tap or click to clear for the problem item.

If the Control key still behaves erratically after doing all of these steps, we suggest performing a repair installation of Windows 10, which will fix your operating system while letting you keep your files and apps. The steps for doing a repair installation can be found through this link

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance with your keyboard's performance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This phantom control key problem comes and goes, sort of fades in and out. Right now, and for the past few days, I've experienced minimal disturbance nor inability to type. I hope it stays gone, because nothing I've done had solved the problem short of starting and running in Safe Mode.

Thanks for your help,

Lee/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2021 Views 8,484 Applies to: