Windows 10: iTunes & Sound in general

Well hello there!

I just updated my computer to Windows 10 last night, and now neither my iTunes will work nor any other sound.

When I press 'play' in iTunes the song just stands still at 00:00. I then updated iTunes as well to make sure, but still nothing.

And then I tried to play a song on Youtube (using Firefox), and the video played just fine, but without sound. I tried several videos to make sure and they all played fine, but without sound.

I then tried to use Youtube via Windows' new browser, Edge, but that wouldn't play any video on Youtube at all. It started, and played like two seconds without sound, and then an error report came up. There as well I tried several videos, but all with the same result.

I then tried to test the speakers, but I just got a box that said "Failed to play test tone".

Does Windows 10 not like sound, is that it? Hehe :P

No, but seriously, can anyone help me with this?

Answer
Answer

I have fixed my problem now. I googled it, and found an article that offered this solution:

"How to fix No Sound on Windows 10 issue

Step 1: Right-click the sound icon in the taskbar located at the bottom right of the screen and select Playback Devices from the ensuing context menu.

Step 2: Select the current playback device in use and by default it should be the speakers. Double-click on it to open its properties window.

Step 3: Got to Advanced section and change the bit rate to either of the following - 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz - depending on the speaker configuration.

If the issue is still unresolved, you can try another method for restoring sound:

Step 1: Launch Start Menu, search for Device Manager and then launch it.

Step 2: Expand Sound and audio devices.

Step 3: Right-click on the current sound driver and choose uninstall.

Step 4: Finally, click on Scan for hardware changes and the updated driver will be automatically installed.

That's it. Your computer speakers should now be able to play sound normally. If the sound is still not working, then try downloading and installing the latest sound card drivers for Windows 10 from the manufacturer's website."

The first three-step solution here did the trick for me. ;)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2023 Views 22 Applies to: