Windows 10 giving "Can't create the pool" and "check drive connections" errors when creating two-way mirror storage spaces

I'm running windows 10 home on an HP Envy laptop with 2 brand new NTFS toshiba 3TB USB3 external hard drives. When I try to create a storage space on the 2 drives, I get "Can't create the pool" and "check drive connections - Request not supported 0x00000032" errors
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Rudy,

We would like to ask if you have already checked your device if it is capable of doing what you are trying to perform. There is a possibility that it might not be able to and what you can do to verify this is by contacting the devices manufacturer for further clarification and assistance.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Had the same problem on my desktop, 4 of the ports are asmedia controller and for some reason won't work with spaces on sata mode. Switched them to ide and that solved the problem using parity performance is really not that good around 50 to 60 mb writes but that's the norm with parity across the board. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The device mfg has no idea what Storage Spaces is or how it works. How could this be a valid response to his question. I have tried this service on 4 machines w different drives. No success. User functional tool? I ended up using Mirror Raid tool with out issues. This tool must be a beta service.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

> We would like to ask if you have already checked your device if it is capable of doing what you are trying to perform.

Instead of giving a 0x000032 error, how about a function to determine why it is failing?

I get the same error on a 6 core machine with 24 gig of ram running the latest Windows 10 version. It has no problem running hyper-V.....so yes, it is capable of doing what is asked.

I have 3 hard drives and regardless of whether one or all is selected this process fails.

Please advise.

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got this error with two external hard drives that were previously part of a storage pool that I deleted.

To fix/clear the error, I disconnected and reconnected the drives. I did this two ways successfully:

1) Physically disconnect and reconnect the drive.

OR for the physically lazy like me:

2) Go to the device manager, find the drive under Disk Drivers, right click on it => Disable, wait for the drive to be disabled, right click => Enable.

I think what might be happening underneath is that Windows has cached something that prevents the drive from being re-added to a pool until it's disconnected/reconnected which forces it to refresh the drive status.

1097 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks to Duct Tape Dude for the correct answer.

I have 3 new 8TB external drives plugged into a new USB3 hub, think of all the potential failure points. So I unplugged the cable from the USB hub, waited about 30 seconds, plugged it backed in and watched Device Manager until they all re-appeared. Solved.

Bill

38 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rudy,

I solved this problem by first selecting 1 drive for a pool and then adding the other 2 drives afterwards by clicking add drive.

I hope this was helpful.  

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rudy,

I solved this problem by first selecting 1 drive for a pool and then adding the other 2 drives afterwards by clicking add drive.

I hope this was helpful.  

Thank you for this. I had the same issue and adding 1 at a time fixed it. I also notice with Fall Creator’s Update, using the metro setting interface I would get the error; if I use the classic control panel, it works without adding 1 at a time.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a quick additional info to Duck Tape Dude's solution:

I've tried the solution a couple times with no success. I had the "Disk Management" open in the background. After closing it and repeating the steps above the error was gone.

So there might be some relationship to having the "Disk Management" open in the background while disabling and enabling the drives or running the Storage pool. Obviously it could be just a coincidence but worth mentioning.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, it worked flawlessly. I have both a WD-320GB and a WD-2TB, added the 320 and then the 1tb. I tried disconnecting the drives, disabling the in device manager....nothing worked!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2021 Views 69,514 Applies to: