What video capture cards are compatible with the Windows App mode?

I asked this in the Insider forum (there was one insider build that did this correctly, but after that it was the same as the RTM of Windows 10), but instead of being given an answer, I was told by a Microsoft employee to research and personally contact every video capture card manufacturer to find out the answer to this, which didn't help me at all.

It would be nice if you had some sort of compatibility list of what video capture cards are compatible with the Windows App mode.  All the ones that work on Windows 7 and above, according to the websites of manufacturers, work fine in Windows 10 in Desktop mode.  I want to be able to use the video capture card on Windows Apps that normally use the webcam.

I haven't been able to find out about any of them for the newer Windows App mode.  None of the websites for the video capture cards talk about that other than generalized Windows 10 compatibility.  The one I recently bought, the Elgato HD60 Pro, I had to contact them to get a special driver just to get full compatibility in Desktop mode.

Any info on this would be great.

Thanks.

1st off it has to be the manufacturer that develops the software to go with a particular device, Microsoft themselves have no control over how they do it. By providing toolkits for the universal development interface that is as far as they can go.

2nd the idea of the new interface is it can work on multiple platforms but there would be no benefit producing a card app for the phone. It can only be used on a desktop so why work on anything else.

Finally apart from the compatibility web site there is no mechanism to record hardware or software available, the market is open and vast. Their is no direct requirement for developers to get products ratified by Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate your thoughtful response.  It makes a lot more sense than what Microsoft employees have told me.

It makes sense except in one area, which is where most of this incompatibility seems to be on purpose by Microsoft, as there have been Insider Preview builds in which video capture cards many types worked flawlessly for the things that required a webcam, just like on the Desktop--it would see my video capture card without issue.  Microsoft has arbitrarily or for very specific reasons disabled the ability to do this on most cards, and I don't know what cards that it's not disabled on.

I could attempt to install that specific Insider Preview build again, but it would probably tell me that I can't use that build anymore because the Insider Preview builds are only good for a limited time and then one is supposed to upgrade to the next build.

The problem that I'm having is that they take away almost all the manual controls for any webcam when in Windows App mode, it wants you to use automatic settings (and it again seems that they've done this on purpose), which is why I've wanted to use my video capture card with my good Sony A5100 mirroless camera where I can adjust quite literally everything manually.  I have semi-pro lighting that I can't use with a webcam on automatic mode because just about all webcam software's automatic settings don't know what to do with that kind of lighting--it results in my face being so oversaturated that you can't see my eyes nor my glasses.

Anyway, thanks again :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have asked this question 3 times and it is up to the makers of 3rd party devices/software to provide drivers and as Insiders/Preview is a Beta testing software, most 3rd party's won't provide a new driver for each build, once it becomes RTM that is when you need to contact the makers for any updated software/drivers.
I'm a unpaid independent Advisor/volunteer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suspect that if you could get a response from Microsoft (you won't) they would deny that the changes are for "no good reason" and have some justification for the changes.

The App Mode Printer interface is missing many of the features the majority of printers can supply as is the case with the Photo utility, still available in desktop mode but you can't print multiple photos per page from within the App itself.

Apps provide a clean, simplified interface, perhaps too clean for some devices.

It still comes down to the individual developers what they want to provide not Microsoft. Copyright law prevents it even if they wanted to.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have asked this question 3 times and it is up to the makers of 3rd party devices/software to provide drivers and as Insiders/Preview is a Beta testing software, most 3rd party's won't provide a new driver for each build, once it becomes RTM that is when you need to contact the makers for any updated software/drivers.

This is referring to the RTM as well, which is why I posted to the regular Windows 10 build forum as well.  Some of why I've been using the insider previews is because of the chance that they might fix the problem, and as I said, they did on one of the earlier builds and I was overjoyed and happy at the prospect that hardware compatibility, or the ability to use a video capture card as a webcam like on the desktop, was going to eventually be possible in the future for the RTM in the form of updates.

There could be an issue of them wanting to ensure that everyone have the same general quality across Windows Apps so people on a desktop can't have extra advantages.  Less chance of complaints from those wondering why some people look like they have better quality than others.  It would make sense from a business standpoint, and then there'd just be the really really rare people like me who obsess on video image quality who would complain.  No matter what they do they're going to get complaints, so minimizing that to a small segment of people would seem like it's in their best interests.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, they could be just trying to ensure that everyone have the same general quality and don't want those with desktop machines to have extra advantages in the way they look in those apps, leaving the only people to complain as those like myself who obsess on having quality video.  Minimizing complaints is in their best interests because it's impossible to avoid complaints altogether.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2024 Views 345 Applies to: