What do you do if the mouse & keyboard do not work but ONLY in Bios? I cannot log in

Hi

I do need some urgent help, but please first understand the problem before giving/pasting generic & unhelpful responses like one sometimes gets.

My laptop uses Windows 10, up-to-date, ALL drivers & programs as well was working 100% correctly until yesterday.

I had installed a giveaway version of Kaspersky antivirus I got from some IT magazine, but because it was causing some issue with Firefox, someone in the Kaspersky forums advised updating to the current 2016 version, where that problem is solved.

I discovered after upgrading that the key did not work for that version.

When I tried to uninstall & return to the previous version, along the way, there was an error mentioning some driver I did not bother to exactly note down.

I used iObit unistaller to complete the job.
It however needed a restart before installing. After restart, the mouspad & keyboard were not working. I was forced to use an external mouse + virtual keyboard.

The synaptics (mousepad device) in device manager had an exclamation mark. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling device ... same thing!
Even reinstalling the original pointing devices driver runs normally but ends up not helping as the exclamation mark returns.

The exclamation mark happens not to be because of missing drivers in this case since even Windows said the most recent versions INSTALLED, but Windows failing to all the same load the driver to communicate with the 2 devices.

The logical thing was to use one of the restore points. The last 3 all fail because of some Cortana file failing to be loaded, being either deleted or corrupted!!!

The last thing I need is re-installing Windows as I would lose some programs.

This morning, tried restore points again to same effect. I connected an external keyboard, ... it also did not work!!!!!! & had the same exclamation mark in the device manager. This has never happened to me before! Such an external keyboard always works.

In my desperation, I went to Windows troubleshooting which carried out a number of repairs, but failed to repair the keyboard/moúsepad issue as it stated in a report & at least for one of the issues it repaired it needed a restart.

After the restart, not even the external mouse was now working, making it impossible to even log in at all, since i cannot even get to the virtual keyboard. ...

One thing I noted,

• is if you got to BIOS, the laptop mouse/mousepad & keyboard work. This got me excited thinking all was now OK. Wrong. After booting to desktop, neither mousepad & keyboard, nor the external mouse/keyboard work.
  • I tried to boot to recovery DVD ... on that interface, also the mousepad/keyboard work BUT not after
  • I tried to carry out via command prompt sfc /scannow & DISM / restore health (dont have commands in my head), both failed

I am trying to avoid re-installing Windows because I do not want to lose some programs.

I had hoped I could carry out an "in-plcae upgrade (? as described here => http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html ) hoping it would repair whatever was wrong, but it seems as stated there, it is only possible if you FIRST LOGIN (which I CANNOT) and start the process from within Windows.

Is there anyway to get into Windows in such circumstances? Please remember external mouse & keyboarss DO NOT WORK.

And in any case, how would one solve the problem even IF I GOT IN, because as I said, the drivers which where NOT an issue before .... re-installing them DID NOT HELP?

As said the laptop had ALL software up-to-date before, had no single problem & was brought into this by Kaspersky uninstallation somehow causing damage to:

• internal mousepad/keyboard & later on AFTEr running troubleshooting & restarting even the external mouse & keyboard are NOT working,. both only work in Bios, though
  • restore point files. Some specific CORTANA file was supposedly damaged or missing, as reported in several trials & using 3 or so different restore points as the reason for failure to restore.

I would appreciate some urgent help, but please DO NOT suggest something requiring being logged in as the starting point!! I cannot log in!

Upgrade:

I found a way to boot in safe mode, BUT I discovered even then, the mousepad/keyboard are not usable

Your quick help would very much be appreciated.

Regards

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern in this regard.

I see you telling this line, "I found a way to boot in safe mode, BUT I discovered even then, the mousepad/keyboard are not usable". Do mean to say you're able to go till Safe Mode login screen or you're able to login into it?

I also see you telling "I tried to boot to recovery DVD ... on that interface, also the mousepad/keyboard work BUT not after". In that case, once you boot into the PC,

1. Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

2. Spot and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” by clicking + sign in front of Mouse and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click the device driver listed below Mouse and other pointing devices and select “Update Driver Software”. When it prompts to choose an option How do you want to search driver, then go with Search automatically for updated driver software. If you have a driver available on your PC, then select Browse my computer for driver software, then select the appropriate location, where the driver located on your PC for updating it. (Ensure that PC is connected to Internet while performing this step)

4. If it doesn't fix the issue then right-click the same device driver listed below Mouse and other pointing devices and select Uninstall.

5. Click OK to confirm removal of the device.

6. Restart the system. Windows will detect and automatically install the touchpad driver.

Keep us posed if you require further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there

Thank you for the response.

"I see you telling this line, "I found a way to boot in safe mode, BUT I discovered even then, the mousepad/keyboard are not usable". Do mean to say you're able to go till Safe Mode login screen or you're able to login into it?

I also see you telling "I tried to boot to recovery DVD ... on that interface, also the mousepad/keyboard work BUT not after". In that case, once you boot into the PC, "

That is just a grammatical mistake, because I repeatedly say I cannot no log in & the mousepad/keyboard + external mouse/keyboard do not work & there is no way to access ANYTHING inside Windows at all!

I should have said, to START SAFE MODE ... which requires logging in all the same, some thing I cannot do as I repeatedly say, also that the keyboard/mouse DO NOT WORK at all ... except & ONLY in BIOS & that blue interface accessed when you start with the recovery DVD.

The only way to access command prompt is via that blue interface using recovery DVD.

So is there anything that can be done WITHOUT having to log in into Windows (which requires a mouse/keyboard which it is NOT POSSIBLE to use), ....?

On another note, in the Kaspersky forum, where I had described the problem, someone had said

"I suspect destroyed upper filter settings for keyboard and mouse; however, I'm not sure. Anyway, the repair would require expert knowledge of the corresponding registry keys and a linux-based registry editor."

Could that be the case?

If that is the case, I would give it a try to avoid installing Windows which was working 100% correctly before & with programs I do not want to lose, however I can only connect the hard drive as an external HDD to a Windows & not Linux PC .... & of course if I could be told exactly what to edit - that can help correct the problem, by allowing me to use the keyboard/mouse again, & if necessary enable Wlan adapter, which I had temporarily disabled, before all this began & is NOT connected to this issue. etc.

I prefer a simpler solution, but if there is no way out, I could try this.

Update:

• When I tried before serious keyboard/mouse issues started to use one of the many restore points I have created, it consistently failed with the error shown in this screenshot bit.ly/1QTw0Bv
  • That is the same dead end I reach, if I use the recovery DVD & go to the option of restoration points.

Lastly:

If I have to re-install Windows ...

I originally upgraded from 8.1 and do not have the key written anywhere. I have read somewhere, if I were to use the USB I created with the media creation tool with Windows 10, I would end up being forced to make a clean install, which is a terrifying prospect as it would supposedly require a key apart from loosing programs/files.

If I could somehow get back into Windows I know I can make a clean install from there something i have done several times and that would be OK.

This admittedly long, but I have tried to provide as much info as possible

Thank you in advance & kind regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with an update.

We don't recommend making changes to Registry. From your description, I suspect the problem seem to be deeper. Since you tried all troubleshooting steps bit the problem still appearing. You can only fix this issue by performing a Clean Windows 10 installation.

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. You can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button, if incase it asks for a product key. Your PC will automatically activate later.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2023 Views 3,951 Applies to: