USB Audio Device - Code 10 - Device can not start.

This is the device connecting my dynamic mic to my PC:

33-331 XLR to Mini USB Microphone Adapter RadioShack Corporation 

This was the way it looked in the Windows 7 compatibility list. 

I have an older PC, it connects and works fine. No issues, no problems, it just worked. I got a new PC, i7 6700k, MSI Z170A SLI PLUS, and windows 10 keeps giving:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

I don't understand why this worked fine on an older system (it uses a slightly older version of the Generic USB driver from November) and not on this one. Any help would be appreciated. I tried many of the "fixes" that are scattered around, but none seem to have helped. I'd really prefer not having to spend a hundred+ bucks to get decent audio when I have something that works perfectly fine on an older piece of junk with the same OS. 

Decided to try on the USB 3.0 ports instead of the USB 2.0 ports and it changes slightly to this:

oSB Audi  (from USB Audio Device) 

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

The I/O request was canceled.

Hi,

The Error: Code 10, normally points that the device drivers may need to be updated. You may click on the link to learn more about this.

What we recommend you do first of all is to update the driver for your USB device by visiting the manufacturer’s website and go their support or download section for the drivers.

Should you need more help, do let us know.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This was the first thing I did. It uses Windows Generic USB Audio Device driver by default. It was on Windows 7 Compatibility list. This Windows install was only 2 weeks old (now updated today with creator's update.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it's a fairly new build altogether so the drivers may still be under works. I suggest waiting for updates, this should kick in soon.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe the issue has to do with which driver Windows uses for the device. When using USB 2.0 or 3.0/3.1 it uses different drivers than 1.0 for some reason, even though it's the same device and technically still "Generic USB Device" driver. Upon further testing, I found that even on my old computer, when plugging the mic into a usb 2.0 or 3.0 port, it refused to function properly. When using the front port (USB 1.0) it worked properly. After much more research, I found people that used a 1.0 hub were able to get this working properly. Seems "Generic USB Device" varies depending on the USB port. Unfortunately the only fix for me was to use another mic, but I imagine using a usb 1.0 hub would probably work as well. 

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 8,041 Applies to: