realtek 5.1 not working in windows 10

after update from win 7 to win 10 automatic update my realtek hd audio 5.1 is not working any more only stereo is working, my audio system is logitech z5500 which works through optical audio output windows 10 fails with basic configurations it is really irritation with stereo audio please some one help 

Hi Harish,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue might arise due to incompatibility of audio drivers with Windows 10. I suggest you to follow the below given methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Playing Audio troubleshooter and check if it works.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
  • Select Troubleshooting.
  • Select View all on the top left corner.
  • Click on Playing Audio.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
  • Check if issue persists.

Method 2:

You may also update the Audio driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps.

• Press (Windows key + X)  and click on “Device Manager”.
  • Expand “Audio input and output” & “Sound, video and Game controller”.
  • Right click on the drivers and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the      computer and check if the issue persists.

Method 3:

If there no updated drivers available on the computer manufacturer’s website, then try installing it in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Download the audio driver from the manufacturer’s website.
  • Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Properties’.
  • Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows  8/8.1 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i have the same problem with Realtek and have tried all of the above with no success

I would rather go back to WIndows 7 but there seems to be no reverse path..why roll-out winows 10 if it is still unsupported???????????????????????????????????

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried all the methods mentioned by you, the Realtek also has released the drivers for Windows 10 but still none of the methods & settings are working in 5.1 mode having a 5.1 dedicated PC audio system I am completely disappointed with the way Windows 10 is  upgraded now I am not able to enjoy my games & movies all are playing only in stereo mode, please provide the solution else the Windows 10 is waste if it not taking care of basic principles of the properly working system.

Note : The issue is mainly with 5.1 Digital audio mode

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would understand this better if it was an esoteric little hardware device, but Realtek is one of the top chipsets in the market. So millions of people have trashed 5.1 drivers and no response for a fix? How is that even possible?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue isn't Realtek,, it's Microsoft....and apparently they've known about it for quite some time.

Supposedly they are working on it......I guess we're just supposed to sit on our thumbs and wait. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its been while but still no update or fix on the issue i have reverted back to Win 7 its a pain but you dont fix the issue, Microsoft is least bothered of an issue for a long time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I suggest you to check with Realtek Support is they have any updated drivers available to fix this issue.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/contact/

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this problem now, I reset Windows 10 on Tuesday night and now no matter what I try, the rear speakers only work if I run the sound tests in either the Realtek HD audio manager or Control Panel>Sound>speaker config. They are set to run in 5.1 in software but they don't output sound to my rear set. 

I have the latest drivers from Realtek, the drivers on the Asus site are older (date from June last year).

The only way I even get sound out of my Logitech Z 5500 rear speakers now is to have them set to 6 channel direct, and even then they only work in the tests. The Z 5500 controller unit has a switch on back that sets connectors to either 6 channel direct or 3x stereo connections, before I reset windows I could use the 3 x stereo connector settings and get sound out of all speakers, now I get nothing out of any speakers except the front pair. I used the connections that matched the cable color, it always worked before...

Before I reset windows the speakers worked perfectly. 

Step 1 troubleshooter just set speakers to stereo which isn't exactly helpful.

Step 2 and 3 don't apply since i upgraded drivers today.

Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro

Driver version: 6.0.1.7541

Audio codec ALC1150

Win 10 64 bit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since this post I reformatted windows as a problem I had with restarts followed me into the that install and ended up being the speakers themselves, as I swapped to using optical cable on the day I posted this and then later lost all sound altogether from the speakers. As soon as I unplugged the speakers my start up problem went away. Not so my sound issues.

I have a new set of Logitech Z906 now and I know all of the speakers work in digital, but I can only get the front surround speakers to work in analog now, before I could at least get two sets of speakers to work.

I have the right colored cables in the right holes, but that doesn't seem to help overly. 

Like the previous post, I have the latest drivers from Realtek, and I just ran the troubleshooter and it didn't find anything useful. I am not sure where I should be looking or what I can change to get all the speakers working, I can't even set them to quadraphonic at the moment...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi guys,
I had the same problem. The speakers worked in Stereo and Quadrophony configuration but not as 5.1.

Accidentally, I found out that the speakers are working in 7.1 configuration. Only the speakers on the side are missing, but all others are present. This is not correct, but it's OK for me.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2020 Views 11,409 Applies to: