Nexus 5x not showing in my computer after windows 10 creators update

Solution (later edit)

After I also discovered that some of my games didn't work because some dll files weren't found, I searched the issue on the Internet and actually discovered that the Media Feature Pack was missing.

However, before the update, I had the Media Feature Pack installed. This means the Creators Update does not also re-install it even if it was previously there.

And guess what.. as soon as I installed the Media Feature Pack, my Nexus 5X was again seen as an MTP device.

But there's a catch. First I installed the Media Feature Pack from the first link I found and it didn't work. You need a Media Feature Pack specifically built for this release:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016817/media-feature-pack-for-n-edition-of-windows-10-version-1703-april-2017

Hi,

Today I installed the Windows 10 Creators update and surprise, my Nexus 5X doesn't show up in My Computer anymore.

Until today, my Nexus 5X appeared without any issues and I could access the photos and movies on the phone.

When I connect  the phone I hear the hardware connected sound in Windows.

Like I did before, when it worked, I select the "Transfer files" option on the phone in order for the phone to be visible but it doesn't work anymore.

I found a solution on the internet stating that I must find the wpdmtp.inf in c:\windows\inf and install it but I could only find wpdmtp.PNF and it has no option to install it.

Any ideas how to fix it? I'm sure it's an MTP driver issue but I cannot seem to understand what is the actual issue if before the update worked.

I tried to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3010081/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-n-and-windows-10-kn-editions but still nothing works.

The phone doesn't appear in Device Manager as "Android Composite ADB Interface" and as "MTP" but with a yellow mark because no drivers are installed for it.

I'm very disappointed with this update.

Hi,

If you’re having problems connecting your device to the computer, we suggest that you uninstall the "Android Composite ADB Interface" in the Device Manager then restart your computer. When the computer is ready, you have to run “Scan for hardware changes” in the Device Manager menu, and it would auto-detect the hardware and in some point, install it for you.

Be reminded that some devices need drivers that came from the device manufacturer itself to be installed on Windows 10. If in case, we recommend installing the device driver that came with the device package. You may check this page that describes information about Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and how to find out an OEM’s contact information.

We are waiting for your feedback.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Be reminded that some devices need drivers that came from the device manufacturer itself to be installed on Windows 10. If in case, we recommend installing the device driver that came with the device package. You may check this page that describes information about Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and how to find out an OEM’s contact information. 

Hi,

After I uninstall the Android Composite ADB Interface and restart my PC, the same driver is installed again.

I don't have any OEM drivers for my Nexus 5X phone. I never had. It just worked on Windows 7 and Windows 10 until this update.

Do you mean that after Windows 10 Creators Update LG/Google must create their own MTP drivers for the phone?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As mentioned on our previous response, some devices need drivers that the manufacturer provided. Either the driver is included on the package or downloading it from the manufacturer’s website and that is what we recommend.

By the way, the Windows 10 Creators Update has started roll out via Windows Update. We suggest trying to check or update your Windows 10 again. We also want to refer you to this link on Managing the Windows 10  Creators Update.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The Creators Update was installed via Windows Update.

So no help at all? Is this a known issue?

Why are you only giving me predefined statements?

Nexus 5X doesn't come with any drivers whatsoever.

What about the fact my phone showed up in My Computer until Creators Update?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are still waiting for your feedback regarding uninstalling the “Android Composite ADB Interface” in the Device Manager. After uninstalling, restart your computer, then you have to run “Scan for hardware changes” in the Device Manager to check if the device would be detect and if the driver will be installed .

If the issue still persists, we suggest contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to get the latest driver for your device or a driver for the “Android Composite ADB Interface”, then install it in your PC.

If you still have concerns, feel free to contact us.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After I uninstalled the Android Composite ADB Interface (also selected the option to delete the driver), reset my PC and then connect the phone again, disabled USB debugging in my phone, and now I only get Nexus 5x with a question mark:

At this  point, I tried different solutions:

1. Nexus 5x -> Update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software ->Let me pick .. -> Android Device

==> it says "Unable to find any drivers for this device

2. Nexus 5x -> Update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software ->Let me pick .. -> Show all devices -> Standard MTP compliant Device -> MTP device

==> Windows found drivers but encountered an error ... The install class is not present or is invalid

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you still unable to install your Nexus 5X on your computer, we recommend contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to have the latest driver for your device.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No need to contact anyone, I already solved the problem myself and edited the first post to also help other people having this issue.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks sterpumihai !!

Looked up everywhere for a solution, but only the specific Media Feature Pack you mentioned fixed it for me:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016817/media-feature-pack-for-n-edition-of-windows-10-version-1703-april-2017

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2023 Views 8,748 Applies to: