Lifecam VX-6000 No Longer Works in Windows 10

After updating to the most recent Windows 10 cumulative update (Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022725)), my Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 no longer works in Windows 10, Skype, or any other application.  Trying to reinstall the drivers results in the message:  "LifeCam doesn't work on this version of Windows.  An updated app may be available."

The only drivers for the device date to Windows 7/8, and the hardware and drivers worked with previous Windows 10 versions.

Please help figure out a solution.  Running the program in compatibility mode results in the same messages.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

There are several reasons why you are getting this issue. One of which is due to a corruption of system files. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you check the following troubleshooting steps:

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Had the same experience with the VX-6000. Worked well until the Creators Update and not after. Tried everything I could think of (which is a lot) and so far nothing works. Even a re-install of the Creator's Update did not help.

Hope this helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - past Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - 2021
Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, i.e. camera stopped working after Win10 Creator update.

I hope someone has a solution.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried all three suggested troubleshooting steps.  Installation still identifies that the program for installing Microsoft Lifecam VX-6000 drivers is incompatible with the version of Windows selected.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have followed the steps detailed in "Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update" with the following result: The trouble-shooter did not fix anything.

I now want to run/open the update from my download history, but it holds 2 files for the same date: KB4022730 and KB4022405.

Witch one should I open/run first?

Note also I have read the content of the "Readiness Tool", "Fix Windows Update Errors" and "Windows Update Trouble-shooter", and found it indicated in one article to contact the camera manufacturer to fix the problem.

What department of Microsoft should I contact if all your advices yield no results?

This is the most bizarre problem I have encounter.

When I go into Skype and select Video Settings, I have video from my camera, same with Windows Live Movie Maker. However I can't take a picture in Photoshop Element or access my Lifecam app in the program list if I click the Window icon in the buttom left corner, it desapeared. The lifecam program is however present in the program list in the Control Panel | Add Remove program.

I have no video in the Camera app in the program list when I select Camera, ref. image above.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There is a possibility that this is an incompatibility issue. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you update your camera driver first. To do this, you may follow the steps on this link.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried running the driver and software package provided with the download from the LifeCam VX-6000 in all compatibility modes (8, 7, Vista Svc Pk 2, XP Svc Pk 3) and the result is a message stating this version is not compatible.

I also tried unzipping the download package and running the setup file directly in all the same compatibility modes with the same results... This version is not compatible. 

It appears Microsoft has decided not to support the LifeCam product anymore at this time.

I have also input this problem in the "Feedback Hub" to see if there is a response.  Only submitted today (Sunday) so we'll see if any response comes in next week.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate - same issue here once going to 1703....

I also tried extracting the drivers from the ancient setup - but was unsuccessful - there does not appear to be an inf/sys file in there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ben,

We just want to clarify, have you already tried all the workarounds and troubleshooting steps provided above? If yes, what are the other troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Looking forward to your reply.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ummm.... im not sure which steps you mean.

There are two options

1) getting the setup to run - which does not seem to run with any compat settings. I have not gone down the path of ACT and creating a shim....  i may try that this weekend if i have time (but I think the chances are pretty slim)

2) extracting the files to get the inf/sys/cat - which doesn't seem to be in there

If you are referring to the post of:

Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update.

• Readiness tool. Fix Windows Update errors.
  • Windows Update Troubleshooter.

They are fundamentally flawed suggestions designed to do nothing more than waste peoples time.

My post was simply a reply to Philip and MonicaHicks to let him/them know that

a) they aren't the only ones with the issue

b) I'd like to know if they ever get a non-time wasting response.

• 24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2023 Views 26,112 Applies to: