Error 'The device cannot start. (Code 10) on Windows 10

Original title: Audio Error 10

Today I updated Windows 10 I found Audio error 10 after that I start trouble shooting but not resolved and I also update audio driver but error 10 not resolved screen short are attached.

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2019 Views 21,567 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

My apologies for the delayed response.

This issue might occur if the device settings are incorrect, corrupted or incompatible drivers or due to hardware

problems.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting methods listed below and check if it resolves the issue.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with devices and hardware. Here's how:

1. Open Control Panel by right click on Start Button.

2. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

3. Click on the view all option on the left panel.

4. Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Method 2: Disable and re-enable the USB controller

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.
To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

1. Right click on Start and select Device Manager.

2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Note: You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

3. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.

4. Repeat above step for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

5. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and

reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

6. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Vinodh Kumar.V
Microsoft Community

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Mubashir,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are unable to update the Audio drivers due to error 'The device cannot start. (Code 10) on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

A Code 10 error is generated in Device Manager in one of the following situations:

• Device Manager can't start the device.
  • One of the drivers that the device needs does not start.
  • Device Manager has insufficient information to recognize the error that is bubbled up by the device driver.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting methods listed below and check if it resolves the issue.

Method 1: Check for Windows Updates.

The Code 10 error is mainly related to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows. Try to update the device driver through Windows Update. Here's how:

Click on Start and navigate to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

Method 2: Enable Safe Mode with Networking

If issue persists, try to update the drivers in Safe Mode with Networking and check if it resolves the issue..

Safe mode with Networking starts Windows in safe mode and includes the network drivers, services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network.

Refer below link to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Note: Please restart the computer to start in normal mode.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Vinodh Kumar.V
Microsoft Community

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.