Clear TPM or not

I bought a new computer in February with Windows 10 installed. Love it! Then I noticed poor font rendering in most of my software applications. I thought it was caused by one of the programs I installed so I opted for a complete reset (delete everything). During the re-install process a msg from American Megatrends popped up and asked if it should clear the TPM, with warning that it would delete everything. Press F12 or ESC to continue. Pressed F12 but nothing happened, so used ESC. Install continued, every boot-up produced the AMI msg, which I deleted with ESC. Windows seems to have installed just fine, but I still have the font rendering problem. Now, upon boot-up the American Megatrends' splash screen with the "Clear TPM" msg (press F12 or ESC) pops up, very annoying. It can be stopped with the ESC key, but thus requires this extra step to continue boot-up.  My question is, A) why is this not mentioned in the instructions for resetting Windows 10, and B) which option should one choose without having to worry about rendering the whole OS/Bios/Motherboard useless. 

A similar problem was answered by SANTOSH_RAI on Oct. 22, 2015, but that involved going into the TPM mgr, which is no problem, but I just wonder what it would do to my OS, since I was not given a TPM owner password, and didn't even have a clue that such a thing existed on the motherboard.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

|
Answer
Answer

I agree, Rolinsgirl. I ended up solving it on my own. I read up on the TPM and determined that I do not need it since I am the only one who uses this computer (desktop). There is a very small window upon boot-up to press F1 to get into the BIOS, which I finally managed. Then, under "Security" I was able to turn off the TPM, problem solved (that part anyway).

ESC usually just gets you out of a program or spot you don't want to be. The Function Keys (F1 through F12) have various functions/results, depending on your Operating System and Computer Keyboard.  I found the following article very helpful:    http://www.howtogeek.com/235351/how-to-choose-whether-your-function-keys-are-f1-f12-keys-or-special-keys/  (Note: I have been using that site for a long time now, it's chock full of info and safe). Sorry I can't be more helpful. Your niece will be so happy to get the Surface Pro 4!

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2021 Views 27,654 Applies to: