CD/DVD Drive not reading...

Hi y'all,

Here I have is a Dell Inspiron 17 5748 with 1TB Hard Drive, 6GB Ram + 2GB Nvidia GeForce, and intel i7. My CD/DVD drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GU90N operating on Windows 10 64-bit. I purchased this laptop in July 2014. I tried to burn CDs yesterday but when I insert the BLANK CD (Memorex CD-R) the drive tries to read the disk and then it just stops and no disk is detected. I tried playing DVDs which is fine (upon detection) but it often crashes partway through an episode or a movie. Does anyone have a solution to this problem or, would I have to send my laptop in to have either a) Disk drive replaced or b) replace the entire laptop? If y'all would be so kind to help me out, that would be amazing! Note: According to my driver properties it says the driver date is 2006-06-21 and that it is up to date.

With much thanks,

Henry Nguyen

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Did you tried with the Burnt CD's?

I see you telling that the CD/DVD drive able to detect the DVD, but failed to detect the CD. I suspect that there might be some problem with the drivers. Try with the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if it works.

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
  3. In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.
  4. When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.
  5. Restart the computer.

After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed. Now check if the problem still persist.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2022 Views 4,028 Applies to: