Cd/Dvd Drive not able to read discs in windows 10

i am using windows 10 now which i upgraded from windows 7. My Cd drive is not reading any disc be it dvd or cd.

I cannot use the below link to fix it as its not supported for windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us?wa=wsignin1.0

It looks like other users have also started reporting the issue. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-Software-Recovery/CD-DVD-DRIVE-NOT-DETECTED-AFTER-UPGRADE-TO-WINDOWS-10/m-p/5173135/highlight/false#M111888

Can someone help me to fix this issue. This is basically stopping me from creating the repair disc for windows 10

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

i am wondering if there is a support engineering looking into the query. There seems to be no response from anyone on this issue.

1004 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

i know i talked to a microsoft technical expert and they seem to be baffled aswell lol they have no idea 

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I decided to restore W7 until they get the bugs fixed on W10.  I need to be able to transfer files/pix from phone to pc, AND be able to play CD's and or burn cd's to upload to phone.

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you restore your old OS will you be able to upgrade for free again? and how do you restore your old OS? Do you think it will allow to run the drive again/read again by restoring?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I upgraded from 8.1 Pro and everything was working fine until I tried using PowerDVD 15, an upgrade from PowerDVD 12 which came with my laptop, and it won't recognize DVDs; it says no media present.  I've ejected the DVD, popped it out, moved it around, re-inserted, and still won't recognize the DVD.

I was having no problems with 8.1 Pro before the upgrade, just didn't like scattered arrangement of everything in the Win 8/8.1 layout.

If this isn't fixed soon, before the rollback deadline, I have no problem reverting back until it's fixed.

I also have an older laptop running Vista which works with no problems either but it's slower and not capable of upgrading to Win 10 but capable of Win 7.  I've thought about upgrading to Win 7 on it but like I said it works without a problem and finding a new copy of Win 7 is very difficult.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/Windows-10-faq

You have until July 29, 2016 to upgrade for free.  Not sure if you upgrade, then revert back to your previous version, if it will still be free, but if all functions of W10 are not working properly, it's pointless to upgrade.  All my issues were resolved once I restored W7.  I think I typed in restore in the windows start search box, then chose backup restore.  I also created a backup of W7 as instructed, so I may have just restored from the backup, but I can't remember exactly how I did it.  Now I am able to use the cd drive, and when I connect my iphone, I/a able to download the pix to the Win photo gallery with no problems.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I did go back to win 7 and my DVD drive works again. Not a big issue for me on my laptop so I installed Windows 10 again. You can reinstall it from the Tech Savvy link they have. It is not easy to locate though for a direct download install. I plan to try and come up with a fix on my own. Windows changes my drive to an "other device" instead of DVD/RW drive for some reason.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem with my laptop where I lost sound (upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Premium), Media Player wouldn't work and my DVD/CD-ROM drive seemed to be unable to read either a CD or a DVD disc. Doing a web I found a possible solution to my loss of sound. That was to switch my Sound, video and game controller to the Windows 10 "High Definition Audio Device". I did get sound back but I am getting some periodic sound distortion (a "BZZT" that occurs frequently enough to be irritating). My DVD/CD-ROM Drive is also working.  My DVDs movies play via the Windows 10 "Windows DVD Player" and my music CDs play via "Windows Media Player".

To install the High Definition Audio Device, I followed these steps:

1. Right click the Windows 10 icon on left end of your Task Bar
2. Click Device Manager
3. Click Sound, video game controllers
4. Right click the S,v & g controller and select "Update Driver Software..."
5. Click “Select Browse my computer for driver software”
6. Click "Let me pickup from a list of device drivers on my computer”
7. In the next screen enable check box (if not already checked) - show compatible hardware.
8. Choose from the list “High Definition Audio Device” and click next.
9. If a pop up window (Update Driver Warning "Installing this device driver is not recommended...", select Yes
10. You should get a window stating "Windows has successfully updated your driver". Select "Close"
11. You will need to Restart you computer to fully activate the new device.
(Please note that High definition Audio Device driver is provided by MICROSOFT)

Good luck. Now I have to see if I can get with of that sound distortion.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the above don't work then installing the AMD chipset drivers from this answer fixed the problem of my invisible DVD drive.

cheers

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cddvd-drive-not-detected-in-windows-10/03bfc8f2-6fdc-4145-9432-cb1fb34b78f2

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Guys, I tried both High Definition Audio Device & AMD chipset driver installation . Still i am unable to get my drive detect the CD. when i put a dvd inside , it takes almost 3 mins trying to read the disc with blinking green lights and grinding sound. Eventually it fails and shows the message "Please insert a disk into CD Drive".

I have before tried the filter removal method and controller 0 addition method using registry . I had powerISO third party software and uninstalled the same . 

None of them have worked . Is there something still i should be trying out ?

72 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2021 Views 81,368 Applies to: