Cannot uninstall Lenovo PM (power management) driver

Lenovo Thinkpad W550s. Started life with Windows 7 Pro, then upgraded to Window 10 Pro. The Lenovo PM device driver caused problems (primarily it throttled the CPU speed to around 28%) and I disabled it. This was good back in November 2015. Sometime in early 2016 the driver apparently received an update and it was working OK, so I left it alone. 

Recently I realized that the computer would never go to sleep, neither on AC or battery. Went into Device Manager/System/Lenovo PM. Driver now showed a date in May 2016. Disable option is now disabled! Rollback is no longer possible! So I used Uninstall, but the driver returned after reboot. Then used uninstall with remove files (or whatever that option says). It still returns after reboot!

A few days ago I get another PM device update, this shows July 2016. The sleep problem is still there. I cannot uninstall this driver either, but I can rollback to May 2016 version.

Does anyone know how to really remove such a stubborn driver? Do I need to remove some of the awful Lenovo management applications (that apparently are written in Adobe Air, oh god help me!)?

|

Hello Glenn,

We regret the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

The Lenovo PM device driver you are referring to is provided by the manufacturer. However, we are unable to ascertain if it overrides the Windows Sleep settings in this case. Also, by what means did you verify that the CPU speed was throttled?

Windows only offers the feature to uninstall the driver from Device Manager settings with an option to Delete the driver software for this device to prevent future reinstallation. Now since it is no more possible, I suggest you to visit to the manufacturer's support forums/website for further support on the same.

Ref: Lenovo Community Forums

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to drivers, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry, but your reply tells me nothing helpful. Lenovo community forums are not helpful either. And you say, "Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to drivers, for us to be able to assist you further", but what required information am I supposed to send to you? You didn't ask me for anything, just said you can't help!

How is it that a driver keeps on returning even if "Delete the driver software" was selected? How is it that a driver can be marked as not allowed to disable? How is it that I used to have previous versions going back into 2015 and now my earliest version if May 2016? 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Glenn,

We appreciate your persistent patience.

If it still does not help, run the Windows in built Driver Verifier as well to identify problematic drivers. The Driver Verifier Manager, tests each specified driver at startup. Follow the below steps.

1. Type verifier in Windows Start menu Search box and hit Enter.

2. Navigate to Create Standard Settings > Click Next > Automatically select unsigned drivers > Next.

3. At last you have two options Cancel or Finish.

• If you click on Cancel, no changes are made to your system configuration.

From the list which is presented, you can manually try to Roll back, Update, Disable or Uninstall the Driver.

• If you click on Finish, then restart the system, you may be presented with an error message.

This will include the name of the buggy driver along with an error code.

4. Now reboot the system in to update, disable or uninstall the particular driver.

5. Type verifier/reset in Windows Start Menu Search and hit Enter to disable the Driver Verifier Manager.

Kindly keep us posted on the status of the issue for us to be able to assist you further .

Thank you.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I "fixed" my Lenovo W550s laptop by doing a clean Windows 10 install. I had other problems besides the power (non)manager. The worst problem was abysmally slow web browser - and it happened with all browsers and even on ethernet instead of WiFi. In other respects the system speed seemed OK. The root problem may have been that the CPU speed was throttled to 30% - so that would be a PM problem. 

Anyway, despite all efforts, I could not improve it, and I was seriously ready to throw it in the trash. So doing a clean install was my last hope! Even though this computer began life with Windows 7 Pro and then free upgrade to 10 Pro, I was assured that I could do clean install without requiring keys. Indeed this proved to be true. The clean install was fast, I think it was less than 15 minutes! And when done, there was no sign of Lenovo horrorware. And now the laptop behaves like it should.

If you want to know, here are instructions for doing Win 10 clean install:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2021 Views 19,466 Applies to: