2nd Monitor Will Not Wake Up From Sleep

I am using a brand new Lenovo P51 with 64-bit Windows 10 with a NVIDIA Quadro M1200 video card along with an external monitor (ASUS VS228H-P) connected through HDMI. When my computer goes to sleep, my second monitor turns off. When I wake up the laptop, but 2nd monitor is no longer recognized by the machine and I am unable to use the display. I have tried a number of solutions already:

1) I have tried selecting "extend display" under F7

2) I have tried using the detect display button in System/Display Settings

3) I have updated my drivers for both display adapaters (intel graphics 630, and NVIDIA Quadro M1200)

4) I have turned the monitor on and off,

5) I have cycled through the input options on the monitor while it is on

6) I have plugged and unplugged the HDMI cable

The only solution to reconnect the monitor I have found is to reboot the computer which is impractical for me while I am using the machine (I am running programs over multiple days and rebooting is not impossible). It is also impractical to turn off sleep mode on the machine - the whole point of having sleep mode is to save my screen and reduce power usage. I also use sleep mode for security - I want my laptop to lock so that someone can't just pick it up any time and use it. I also read somewhere that someone was able to turn off and then turn on the display adapters to reconnect - but this is a ridiculous fix I won't repeat over and over again.

Outside of these solutions, has anyone found a way to make Windows 10 recognize an external display?

Question Info

Last updated May 29, 2019 Views 444 Applies to:

Hi,

Based on the information you provided us, we highly suggest that you contact your device's manufacturer for further technical support to address the issue since the issue can be caused by a hardware failure.

You can find more details on this page on how to contact them: Lenovo customer support. 

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.