I am using a brand new Lenovo P51 with 64-bit Windows 10 with a NVIDIA Quadro M1200 video card along with an external monitor (ASUS VS228H-P) connected through HDMI. When my computer goes to sleep, my second monitor turns off. When I wake up the laptop,
but 2nd monitor is no longer recognized by the machine and I am unable to use the display. I have tried a number of solutions already:
1) I have tried selecting "extend display" under F7
2) I have tried using the detect display button in System/Display Settings
3) I have updated my drivers for both display adapaters (intel graphics 630, and NVIDIA Quadro M1200)
4) I have turned the monitor on and off,
5) I have cycled through the input options on the monitor while it is on
6) I have plugged and unplugged the HDMI cable
The only solution to reconnect the monitor I have found is to reboot the computer which is impractical for me while I am using the machine (I am running programs over multiple days and rebooting is not impossible). It is also impractical to turn off sleep mode on the machine - the whole point of having sleep mode is to save my screen and reduce power usage. I also use sleep mode for security - I want my laptop to lock so that someone can't just pick it up any time and use it. I also read somewhere that someone was able to turn off and then turn on the display adapters to reconnect - but this is a ridiculous fix I won't repeat over and over again.
Outside of these solutions, has anyone found a way to make Windows 10 recognize an external display?