Wrong calculation of folder size by Windows

Hello,

I noticed today that my Windows system does not properly calculate folder sizes.

I'm actually trying to make a backup of all my personal and work content. When I check the whole backup folder size under properties, It shows me around 10 Gb. But when I open this big folder and select a subfolder, It show me 30 Gb... This is kind of really annoying and I think it's a major issue Microsoft should fix ASAP.

I would like to say (because I didn't find anywhere else to post it) that in my opinion, Microsoft lacks ways of collecting feedback from his clients. There is nowhere we can manually report bugs and crashes.

In any ways, I think that showing correct folder sizes is a really basic task that an Operating System should be able to do. Such a bug is inacceptable for a leader like Microsoft, and I honestly consider going along with Apple if this issue does not get quickly fixed. My computer will soon need to be changed in anyways.

Meanwhile, if some of you guys have found ways to go around this major issue, feel free to share them :). Thank you!

Here is my technical information :

Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz

64 bits

Windows 10 family version 1803

Installed on 2018-06-20

O.S. version 17134.112

Many thanks is advance,

Antoine

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2019 Views 25,739 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Antoine_795,

It is widely reported that version 1803 of Windows 10 has introduced a bug into Explorer.exe

It is because it cannot read the metadata of files correctly, it mixes up the size and dimensions for example

Therefore it cannot calculate the size of a folder, especially if it has sub-folders, it also cannot calculate the spare space on a hard drive . . .

In the meantime, while we are waiting for Microsoft to fix this bug:

Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize - it is a great utility . . .

Using that tool, you will instantly see the size of all folders (always missing form File Explorer) and where space is being used on your hard drive . . .

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What you are seeing may be a bug, but it can be true for compressed folders.

A compressed folder with 1GB (size on disk) may contains 2GB of files. 

Explorer will also expand a zip file just like folder.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same problem with built 1803 Pro.

@rwb1012 --> It's not compressed folder. We are talking about just regular folder. Parent folder have size 100GB and select all folders and files inside it will show property 350GB. No matter have many times you refresh it.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Great fix.  It’s nice to know I have not screwed up my assistant’s new computer or her files, which I just moved. Now I know the job is done.

I am mostly to busy and stressed to cooment, but you guys who post fixes here are part of what really makes America great.

P.S. I use the free or pay version of Folder Size, another great American product, maybe just American in spirit.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem on Windows 10 Home (Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112)). Really annoying. Wrong calculation (like 150gb are missing!!!) for parent folder, and when I go into the folder and select the folders contained in it, it gives me a different total size, which is STILL inaccurate.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLUTION!!!!!!

Download and run TLPD and search for files that are over 255 characters in their filename. It will generate a text document log and you will most likely find that the files are in a folder called softwaredistribution.old in your Windows folder.

The folder softwaredistribution.old is safe to delete. If you find other files that have file names longer then 255 please carefully research what those files are associated with. Most will be safe to delete or rename.  Once all these files are gone Windows will report the correct folder size. 

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed - I have a 4.6 gig file that I want to copy onto a brand-new 32 gig Sandisk flash drive, and Windows Explorer tell me it's too big to fit on the flash drive - useless!!!!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much!! It did solve my problem.

By the way it's a shame Windows 10 has such issues! Last time I had a problem with file name lenght it was probably on a 386 on Windows 3.1  

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem is annoying because it appears sporadically and it applies to some but not all folders. Sometimes the file folders displayed are simply ridiculous. I am now using Windows 10 but if I remember correctly I encountered the same problem several times with Windows 8 in my old computer too. That computer had since broken down, and at that time I thought the wrong file sizes might be due to hard disk failure.

Now with my new HP computer using Windows 10, just now I copied some 3GB folder saved in a flash drive to Drive C (SSD) [There is also a Drive D - Hard drive]. The size of the copied folder in Drive C was shown as about 150 MB (yes, not GB) which was simply nonsensical. One single file in the folder can be 150MB already. The subfolder sizes were also wrong but file sizes seem to be right and the files can be opened. I even changed the name of the main folder but is still wrong folder size when copied. But when I copied instead into drive D, the folder size was correctly displayed. All the folder and subfolder sizes were displayed correctly in the original flash drive.

When I copied folders of some other flash drives onto Drive C (SSD), there was no problem either so far. As I said it is annoying because it occurs sporadically. Does anyone have any insight on the source of the problem, and any way to diagnose it? Thanks in advance.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Try what Vince122112 suggests! For me it worked

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.