Question

Q: Windows file explorer/quick access not working correctly in windows 10

The File explorer icon is pinned tot the taskbar, but if I have a window open (ex: My documents), if I right click the taskbar icon and select: "My computer" or any other quick access shortcut, it won't open. Everything opens ok if I right click the folder/drive in the open file explorer window and select open in new windows.
Also, going to Start, File explorer and then selecting any quick access shortcut will result in... Nothing.

All updates are installed, and I run on a 24GB RAM rig, with SSD and i7 QM3610, so it's not a hardware issue. Also, I am using Windows 10 RTM, not the Insider version.

Cheers, Nick.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Matei,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details.

• Do you see any error code or error message on the screen?

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

I suggest you to perform the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run SFC Scan

Please click on the below link and follow procedure to perform SFC scan.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Method 2:  DISM Tool
I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

1. 1.      Press Windows key + X.
    2.      Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    3.      In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.  

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

1. No, no error message or code. Not even the error sound.

2. The last update, a month ago, even a bit more. (My windows is installed from scratch on 8th of september)

3. What settings exactly. It's with a Microsoft account, so the settings are synced.

Regarding the two Methods, none of them showed any errors or made any changes.

PS C:\Windows\system32> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384
Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384
[==========================100.0%==========================]
No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.
PS C:\Windows\system32> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384
Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.
PS C:\Windows\system32>

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Matei,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with after upgrading to Windows 10, File Explorer not working on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

There can be a number of reasons for this issue to happen. Some common reasons that can cause these problems are:

• System files on the computer may be corrupt or mismatched with other files.

• There could be a possibility of virus or malware infection.

• Some applications or services running on the computer might have stopped File Explorer to work.

• This issue might have occurred due to outdated or corrupted video driver.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

1. Type settings in search and click on Settings.

2. Click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

4. Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot.

5. If you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click advanced options.

6. Tap or click Startup Settings.

7. Tap or click Restart.

8. On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode.

9. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

Step 2:

If the issue does not appear in safe mode, place the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue reappears.

Placing your system in “Clean Boot” state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue does not occur in “Clean Boot”, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot” from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

If the issue persists, follow method 2          

Method 2:

Run a full computer scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner to make sure that the computer is virus free.

Microsoft Safety Scanner, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx 

Note:
 Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss. 

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that worked was when I was in safe mode. The search/Cortana still didn't work (that's one of my other problems).

After doing the clean boot (which did nothing, everything was the same) I have other problems. I have VIA audio, and everything is funky now. The laptop's subwoofer is playing when I switch to the headphones... Driver issues, but this is another matter.
Regarding my OS install, I did a CLEAN windows 10 install with full format, so nothing old would be stuck. I updated my 8.1, but after that I formatted my SSD and reinstalled my OS from scratch.

The full computer scan with the Microsoft Safety Scanner, or any third party scanner (highjack this, emsisoft etc.) found nothing. Everything is clean.

I did take the liberty of looking in: Event Viewer-> Windows Logs-> System.
This is what the error looks like when I try to open the shortcuts in File Explorer Shortcut:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {C82192EE-6CB5-4BC0-9EF0-FB818773790A}. The error:

"740"

Happened while starting this command:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHCreateLocalServerRunDll {c82192ee-6cb5-4bc0-9ef0-fb818773790a} -Embedding

The XML looks like this:

- <Eventxmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM"Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}"EventSourceName="DCOM"/>
  <EventIDQualifiers="0">10000</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-10-09T17:50:49.943752800Z"/>
  <EventRecordID>23753</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="780"ThreadID="812"/>
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>Nick-Laptop</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-3571974121-1367789166-4070959658-1001"/>
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <DataName="param1">C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHCreateLocalServerRunDll {c82192ee-6cb5-4bc0-9ef0-fb818773790a} -Embedding</Data>
  <DataName="param2">740</Data>
  <DataName="param3">{C82192EE-6CB5-4BC0-9EF0-FB818773790A}</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Cheers,

Nick

Sorry this didn't help.

Any news, since the problem persists?

Sorry this didn't help.

Probably a buggy shell extension.  I would run regedit & see where

{C82192EE-6CB5-4BC0-9EF0-FB818773790A}.

shows up in the registry.  Whenever you find a reference, export a .reg file & post those back here.

Keith

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to let you know, I have this problem as well and there is no way (as a non-techie) I am going to try to do any of this complicated stuff simply to make my life a little easier.  It is still annoying though - so when you get to it Microsoft, that will be great!

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way to make it work is to actually download the Windows 10 install ISO from Microsoft and do an "Upgrade". Yes, you can do that, even if it actually is Windows 10 on Windows 10. (carefull to select the same type of OS -32/64 bit & Home/Pro -)

That reinstates the default registry entries and everything works great. The only thing really bothering me is why on earth does my OS keep corrupting itself after every update?! I have to do the "Upgrade" workaround every darn time...

A complete reinstall (with format repartitioning) is mandatory to see if this still persists.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

well, here are all the .reg files I found.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3A68368DCA3A358D!168997&authkey=!ANBn9nXkhCYhsZ4&ithint=file%2czip

I think I know the culprit. After a completely clean install, I never installed the VIA driver, the one from their website. I just run with the Microsoft one and everything run smoothly.

For one last time, I tried installing their drivers. Besides the fact that they are terrible, the error reappeared. I did uninstall the drivers, but to no avail. The damage is done.

Sincerely, Nick

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for delayed response.

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided below.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type control userpasswords2 and click OK

• Click on add under users tab

• Click the option, "Sign-in without a Microsoft account

• Click on Local account 

• Choose a name for the account

• Add password if you want to

• Apply and click OK.

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh Kumar.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,353 Last updated: May 15, 2018 Applies to: