Windows Explorer not responding when renaming or creating folder

I have seen similar posts, but either they are addressed to other Windows versions or have a different reason for Windows Explorer not responding.

Whenever I try to create a new folder (ith a given name) or rename a folder, Windows Explorer blocks ("not responding") for about 1 min. Adding files or adding a new folder without changing its name works normally.

Fist of all I wonder how can I confirm what is blocking it? I tried debugging Windows Explorer through Visual Studio (even though without the sources), but could not get to a conclusion.

I already tried disabling every non-Microsoft service startup through msconfig and "Start" tab from Task Manager, but to no avail.

Any ideas? Being this Windows 10 in a x64 PC fully updated, I was not expecting such a behavior. Please do not propose a full new installation, as that implies having to reinstall all my programs, settings, etc..

Using the ShellExView program I was able to determine that, if I disable the shell extensions DropboxExt1 Class to DropboxExt10 Class, everything works normally again (I am using Dropbox v14.3.17 with Windows 10 (fully updated) 64-bit). I also have posted this issue in Dropbox forum.

So, is this a Windows problem, a Dropbox problem, or both?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Hugo, 

To help resolve your concern, we would suggest the methods below: 

Method 1: Clean boot the system 

To check if there isn't any 3rd party software conflict, i.e., if any 3rd party application or startup item is causing the issue, you may try to clean boot the system and check for the issue. To perform a clean boot, refer to this link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting. 

Method 2: SFC scan 

We also suggest you to scan your system with the System file checker to treat any corruption with the program files. To do so, follow these steps: 

1. Go to Start, click All Programs and open Accessories. 

2. Right-click on Command Prompt in the Program list and then select Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click OK. 

3. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:  

sfc /scannow 

For further reference, refer to this link.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems I got an automated reply. I had tried all of that previously, but none of those options solved my problem. As I stated in my message, the only way I got it working for now was if I disable the shell extensions DropboxExt1 Class to DropboxExt10 Class shell extensions. This, however, prevents dropbox icons from showing in Windows Explorer. 

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hugo,

Had been having the exact same problem for a few months now, and found this page while looking for a solution. While it didn't contain the answer I hoped for, it did give me the idea of looking to see if Dropbox was on my machine.

Dropbox was not listed under Programs & Features. Then looked under Apps & Features (click Windows button, then Settings, then Apps & Features). There is an app called App Installer with an icon suspiciously similar to that for Dropbox (Could not find Dropbox itself anywhere). Clicked on it to expand the entry then clicked Advanced Options and Reset.

So far seems to have done the trick, immediately (without a restart) newly created and renamed folders would complete the name change without the unresponsive wait.

Hope this is helpful to you.

109 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Nathan B.

I've had the exact same issue on Windows 10  Your steps to reset the suspicious "App Installer" application that has the Dropbox Icon worked perfectly and completely resolved the issue.  Thanks you for posting the solution!

Scott

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue causing the the File Explorer (Not Responding) error on my system appears to be with the 'C:\Users' folder. It affects all sub-folders contained within this directory (Default, Public, User) which includes Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos etc. This includes creating a 'New Folder' while also trying to rename it, renaming an existing folder, or trying to delete a folder.

However, I have no issues with File Explorer (Not Responding) with any other folders on my C:\, nor other hard-drives in my system or external drives and devices. Issues such as these at work usually revolve around a corrupt profile and was easily corrected by deleting the local profile and pushing the network copy to the workstation. When I have more time, I'll try to take a closer look at the C:\Users folder and see if there's an easy solution to resolve the (Not Responding) issue.

If you experiencing this issue, try creating, renaming, deleting folders in a different location on your drive, such as under the root or any other location outside of the C:\Users\ folder and see if your still having the issue.

I'm using Windows 10 Education x64.

*I moved the Downloads folder to another drive, and the (Not Responding) went with it. I added a folder from a different drive, that didn't have any issues, to the downloads library and it began having the (Not Responding) error. So I'll have to dig through the registry for the system files.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Had this same issue for over a year.  Finally fixed it with "dropbox" issue hint (see below)

I did not have a program (in uninstall programs) called dropbox but when I did a search on my computer for "dropbox" (without quotes) I found an e-catalog sent to me that had "dropbox" at the end of the folder file name as part of the extension.

I deleted that entire folder - I tested things and I can create a folder again very quickly.  I am so glad I found this thread.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hugo,

Had been having the exact same problem for a few months now, and found this page while looking for a solution. While it didn't contain the answer I hoped for, it did give me the idea of looking to see if Dropbox was on my machine.

Dropbox was not listed under Programs & Features. Then looked under Apps & Features (click Windows button, then Settings, then Apps & Features). There is an app called App Installer with an icon suspiciously similar to that for Dropbox (Could not find Dropbox itself anywhere). Clicked on it to expand the entry then clicked Advanced Options and Reset.

So far seems to have done the trick, immediately (without a restart) newly created and renamed folders would complete the name change without the unresponsive wait.

Hope this is helpful to you.

This was the solutions that works for me. Thanks

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This appears to be my problem, except it's not all of the folders in my User directory. It appears to be one specific folder. I open it, and it says "working on it…" until I get the dreaded (not responding).

Interestingly, I can open Windows Explorer and underneath quick access, is a subfolder of the "not responding" folder – and the subfolder works! And it appears every other folder on my SSD is working. For what it's worth, I did exit Dropbox after reading several responses to similar issues (I don't use it except when needed for a file transfer from someone) but that did not solve the problem. Also of note is that the problem folder is also inside of my Google Drive folder. But other folders inside my Google Drive folder are working just fine, and Google Drive seems to be working properly as well.

I am using Windows 10 home 64-bit.

Thank you for any thoughts that may resolve this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 21, 2020 Views 12,093 Applies to: