Windows Explorer keeps crashing after update

It seems like after this weeks Windows 10 update (kb4013418?), explorer keeps crashing after opening a folder filled with media files.  The window quits, the taskbar flashes, and everything resets back to desktop.

Event viewer shows that all crashes are due to FAULTING MODULE: comppkgsup.dll

Windows Media Player will also crash.  When it starts scanning folders for updates, it crashes. 

All other applications that look into the folder crashes.  This includes Nero, VLC, and anything else.

After spending hours experimenting, it seems only a few media files are causing this crash.  MPEG or mpg.  Please note, you don't even have to play these file.  All you need to do is scan the explorer window to the part of the list and it crashes.

It does not seem crash when in safe mode.  Please Help.  I can't even play music

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have the same exact issue with explorer, I cant even open the explorer window to view anything. Same fault module as well. 

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

If the issue happened only after the update, we suggest running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and see how it goes.

We're here for any feedback.

Regards.

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Just tried it, it ran through and fixed some issues and after a reboot of my system the problem still persists.  I can still open a shortcut to a folder and start using file explorer in that way but not by the File explorer shortcut on my taskbar.

Sorry this didn't help.

I too just ran Windows Update Troubleshooter.  It fixed some issues, rebooted, and problem still there.  Same faulting module.  WMP also crashes once folder scan initiated.

I have run it several times.  Including as administrator with no change

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here.

I ran the troubleshooter, rebooted and it did not fix the problem. Error in the event log

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5aa4
Faulting module name: CompPkgSup.DLL, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5c12
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000349d
Faulting process id: 0x2f7c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29e981ad5c47d
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\CompPkgSup.DLL
Report Id: 87b61636-bd4f-4373-a15d-70be2382e18a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Makes it kind of hard to work...

Sorry this didn't help.

Failing for .ts (Type Script) files as well.

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5aa4
Faulting module name: CompPkgSup.DLL, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5c12
Faulting process id: 0x1668
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29f05c829d432
Report Id: 3a81caa1-4e61-40d6-9c53-4bba8615fa84

Sorry this didn't help.

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type msinfo32 and click OK . Place the cursor on System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save. Files in the txt file format are preferred.Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your Application log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the Application log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the list. My computer updated only this morning and since then I cannot browse even my downloads folder. A few seconds of nothingness like it's waiting then exits back to the desktop.

Not to sound cruel but this is my THIRD Windows 10 update that broke something. Two or three major updates ago the worst was a blue screen twice a day, fixed in the next update granted, but with the inability to turn this off is there ANY global testing going on before pushing these updates out?

I really wish as a lot of others do, that Microsoft would just leave my perfectly well working system the **** alone sometimes. 

Seriously....

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  Every time I open a folder with video thumbnails the pointer goes to an hourglass then the File Explorer window closes/crashes.   Here's the latest one from Event Viewer:

Error    3/17/2017 8:39:23 AM    Application Error    1000    (100)

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          3/17/2017 8:39:23 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      WorkPC
Description:
Faulting process id: 0x2da8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29f23de3ae922
Report Id: 35194003-6251-45ce-ad58-1240736a7d7d
Event Xml:
<

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here 

Also started after the last update so it looks like the update has caused the problem. Restore failed "due to unknown error" - so now what?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2020 Views 7,776 Applies to: