Windows C drive space

Background: I have an HP envy laptop and use adobe cc, cinema 4D, and a few other smaller apps. I am a design student so I use these applications on a day to day basis. Apart from that I have no games, pictures, videos or even music downloaded on my laptop.

For the first two months I was able to work comfortably using multiple adobe software and saved all my work on the c drive of my laptop without experiencing any problems. I noticed the c drive getting full so I backup my work on an external hard drive and deleted those files. But now I can barely work photoshop without my c drive getting completely full within a week. 

I have tried to move as many apps from my c drive to d drive but it has had minimal effect. I would rather not change the defaults for larger apps like adobe and microsoft.

I use to have an Asus laptop but it feels as though it had so much more storage in the c drive and I had at least triple the amount of work saved on it and never needed to delete my work files. I feel as though I have much less space compared to my peers who have similar apps installed and am wondering what the problem is. 

I have already enquired to upgrade my storage of the c drive but received word from a HP store assistant that it is impossible with the HP envy model

(HP envyx360 convertible 15) I have. I have changed the settings so that new files save on d drive but I still see my c drive getting full and am unable to save my work from apps like indesign because the c drive is full. Photoshop is not as bad now because I had added d drive as a scratch disk under preferences but other apps still have this problem.

At this point I am desperate to figure out how I can upgrade my c drive or use more of my d drive space. Any help is welcome.

For reference here is a screenshot of my storage. As you can see I have a large amount of space on my d drive. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi YasoR2

before making any further suggestions, I need to see the state of storage on your C Drive, to see if there is an underlying problem, that may be resolved . . .

Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize. Using that tool, you will instantly see where this space is being used

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Please provide a screenshot of the resulting TreeSize window . . .

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave,

Here's the screenshot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi YasoR2

Thank you for the screenshot . . .

There is a $Windows.~BT folder on your C drive, you should delete that

Everything else looks normal for a system with a lot of large software products installed . ..

Your user folder is using 23.4GB, do you have another internal hard drive on your PC apart from the 128GB SSD - is that DATA (D) drive an internal 1TB HDD?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. I'm guessing there would be no system changes from deleting that file? Yes the other space is in the d drive.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi YasoR2

Deleting that folder will not affect your system at all . . .

To reduce the size of your User folder, move all your User Library folders to D:

Open Windows File Explorer

In the right hand pane, right click your Documents folder and choose Properties

Select the Location tab

In the Location box, type D:\Documents then click Apply and OK

When that move completes, do the same for Pictures, Videos and Music

It is very important, each time, provide a new folder location, for example, Pictures will go to D:\Pictures

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave,

I have just attempted to delete the $windows file but am unable to do so. I have tried both methods from this website but am unsuccessful: 

https://www.top-password.com/blog/delete-windows-bt-folder-after-windows-10-update/#targetText=The%20%24WINDOWS.~BT%20folder,hidden%20folders%20in%20Windows%2010.

This is the pop up I get despite following instructions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi YasoR2

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Windows Updates

What update(s) are showing as pending on your system?

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave,

This one right here

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi YasoR2

Your system is currently waiting to install the 1903 Feature Update . . .

When you will not need your PC for an hour or so, click 'Restart Now' on that page to begin the installation of that update, you should then be able to delete that folder, if it still exists after the update . . .

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dave,

I have successfully deleted the $windows folder. Thank you very much. I am currently moving my user folders, just to be sure should I move my desktop and downloads as well? I just want to know if there is any consequence to moving them? 

I have read before that moving softwares to d drive can cause windows to be slower in starting up. This would not be the case by moving these library folders since they are separate from program files right?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2019 Views 55 Applies to: