Windows 10 memory management

I have a recently built PC w/ a Gigabyte GA Z170X Gaming 7 MOBO, an Intel 6th gen i7 6700K 4 Gig processor, 2 Samsung 512 GB Pro M.2 NVMe Internal SSDs, 2 Samsung 1 TB 850 Evo SATA 3 SSDs,  an GeForce GTX 6 GB Vid Card,  2 x 6 TB WD SATA HDDs, and 32 GB of Crucial DDR4 RAM .

I'm trying to run Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and various other programs. My problem is that with Win 10 (love the program, BTW) installed in C: on the #1 M.2 card, I have pretty much max'd out the M.2 after only 6 months. I still have the #2 M.2 and the 2 1 TB SSDs which are virtually empty. Since virtually every type of software tries to default to the C: drive during installation I'm looking for a memory management strategy to deal w/ this dilemma. Can Program Files be moved to one of the other drives or do I necessarily have to install a given program in Program Files. Can "Documents" be moved to another drive? 

My basic question: Will it be possibly to run Win 10 per se...as the only resident software...on the #1 M.2 drive?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Hi,

The Program Files folder is created in the partition where the OS is installed. In your case it is in C: Drive and it needs to stay there in order to run the apps or programs which run in Windows 10. For personal files, you can choose the location to your SSDs without any issue. The Documents folder is created in C: Drive as well but you can opt not to save anything there, thus using your other storage for other files.

Feel free to post back should you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Katrina...

Thank you for clearing that up. Is the sort of thing where I can just drag the "Documents" folder over to an SSD or is there some technical process to create space in the C: drive? Same goes for the "Windows" folder.

Current major files in C:

Documents   100 GB

Downloads   22 GB

Pictures  11 GB

Programs  7 GB

Users  390 GB  (this is the current location of my photos)

Windows  20 GB

Outside of the Programs folder, can I just drag the other folders to a different location? Please be specific

Thanks so much for your time

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can drag the folderss to the other drive as long as it doesn't contain any files that is needed by an app to run. Based on the information you provided us, aside from Programs and Windows 10 folders, you may move the other folders to your preferred drive.

Please let us know if you need help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the Users folder holds 380 GB of material, that is really the one that needs to move. I tried to drag it to another SSD but Windows would not let it move as such. Can this folder be moved, then, or should I just move the files individually, that are a problem, e.g., Documents, Downloads, Music Photos, etc? If so, is there a particular technique to be used during the move to avoid giving my OS a case of indigestion?

Thanks again

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since it is such a large folder, we suggest that you transfer the files by groups and categorize them as with file types or with your own preference.

Please tell us if you're encountering any issues.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2018 Views 83 Applies to: