Question

Q: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Error 0x80070002-0x20016.

All I want to do is save the Windows 10 installation media to my external HDD; I downloaded the media tool, opened the file and I get the message, "Something Happened" with a code 0x80070002-0x20016. Anyone know what this means? I tried both versions, 32bit and 64bit but I get the same results. I don't know If I did something wrong or if this is Microsoft's problem, please help.

If this matters any, I'm still running Windows 7....

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and we will assist you to resolve this issue.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Place your computer in clean boot state and check if it helps.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Method 2: This could be an issue with Antivirus blocking some features of windows.so disable the anti-virus.

Anti-Virus Disclaimer: When you disable Antivirus:

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Now try to download the ISO from the Windows 10 media Creation tool. To download Windows 10 ISO, refer the link below:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Unfortunately, neither option works. I tried the clean boot with my antivirus programs disabled and I get the same message and error code. I also opened the media creation tool instead of downloading it and I still get the same message. I'm frustrated that something so simple is not working and I don't know what the reason is. Do I need a usb drive plugged into my usb port when running media creation tool? Do you have any other solutions? Thank you for time on this.

Sorry this didn't help.

does not worked for me waiting for any other solution 

Sorry this didn't help.

I get the same probleme, please give us a solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all!

I've found the following solution. It involves some registry editing, but it worked for me and reportedly for several other people:

1. Click on Start, search for regedit.
  2. With regedit open, proceed to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
  3. Right click on the right side window and go to New -> DWORD (32-bit) value
  4. Rename the new value to "AllowOSUpgrade" without the " quotations and make sure it is exactly the same as it is case sensitive.
  5. Double click on the newly created value AllowOSUpgrade and change the value to 1 with hexidecimal base.
  6. Close regedit and run Windows Update again. Windows 10 should pop up and you can then download it.

Hope it helps :)

Sorry this didn't help.

230 people were helped by this reply

I was searching form last two days to get windows 10 updates, tried lots of trick but it work for me, LOL, feeling happy, Thank you. downloading now.

Sorry this didn't help.

I want to clarify your answer, after what you said about Regedit, it sounds like you have a problem with Windows Update and not the issue I have before me with the Windows 10 Media creation tool error. As far as I know of, the Windows Media creation tool needs to be downloaded from Microsoft but I never heard of anyone receiving it through Windows Updates. Don't get mixed up with the Windows 10 app you receive on your task bar to download Windows 10, that's a different topic that should be posted on another forum.  Are we talking about the same thing with the error code and message? Remember, I went to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and I have no problem downloading the file to my folder but I have a problem getting the program to work.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem, sounds like Microsoft will need to address this with a fix like an update I presume for Windows 7 users. Everyone, post your solutions or complaints, results, etc; the more the better for the Windows 10 community.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

I have had no luck with this fix in addition to the clean boot and disabling the anti-virus.

I must say I'm very tempted to install Linux - far simpler!

Sorry this didn't help.

I folowed that regedit path but could find "OSUpgrade".Any solution??

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you couldn't find the key, add it ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 69519 Last updated: January 17, 2018 Applies to: