Windows 10 indexing problem

I have two identical SSD's installed in my Toshiba A75 portable.  I clone C to E weekly.  I have Windows 10 indexing set to index on selected C drive folders.  The search box always returns results on E drive rather than C.  I have no folders selected for indexing on E.  This causes a lot of problems and I can't seem to get C drive to index correctly without physically removing the E drive.  I have now disabled the indexing entirely.  Does anyone have a solution for this.  It seems to be a bug with having 2 identical drives installed.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2019 Views 1,687 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you that you are facing this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Which software did you use for cloning the HDD?

• Which edition of Windows is installed on the computer?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the computer?

Reply to us with more information to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I used Acronis True Image 2015 to make my E: SSD and exact disk image of C:  I have Windows 10 home having upgraded from Win 8.1.  All updates are installed.  I have tried rebuilding the index.  I have tried various selections in the indexing options of the control panel.  I always chose to index C: and unselect E: making sure that nothing is selected for E:

The search box on the toolbar will find my apps OK but when I search for a picture or a filename, it always return that on E rather than C. 

In addition when I have an external USB 3.0 hard drive installed, it return file locations on that drive.  Rather than E it returns the file location on F:

Sorry this didn't help.

Today as my post shows is almost one year since the problem was posted by "wsbones" nevertheless it is not solved yet. I reported to Microsoft thru the Feedback Hub. Indeed if you have more than one ssd drives (haven't tested on regular hard disks) whatever you chose to include in the indexing for C will be replaced by the same location on the 2nd drive (be it E: in my case as well). If E: does not have the select path. I first noticed it in the Anniversary version of windows 10.

It could be the reason behind the problem discussed in:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-may-freeze-after-installing-the/5a60d75d-120a-4502-873c-8bfec65c82d0

Sorry this didn't help.