Windows 10 - Fonts installed, showing in Control Panel, but inaccessible by Apps?

Hi there,

Recently I suffered an issue with a previous personal Windows 10 PC, so just replaced it with a brand new Win 10 Pro PC, used for CAD/CAM design work & CNC management.

I managed to restore from a backup, and all my apps/data are as expected/needed... BUT:

I'm having a real issue with fonts... I've installed each and every one multiple times now - both by clicking the install option for each and every one of them (over 500!), and also copy/pasting directly to the Windows Fonts directory...

I can *see* the fonts visible (with previews) in the Fonts folder, and when I use a browser version of Wordmark.it to preview all installed fonts on my computer... BUT: they are not visible to my apps!!

This problem has been over the last few days - the machine has been re-booted numerous times, but still the same problem persists.

FWIW, I am the sole user of this PC, and my account profile is set to "administrator"

Would ~really~ appreciate some help to understand why these fonts are not visible to my apps, please and thanks!

-D

Hi WLDOR

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Web based applications you access through a browser will tend to access a certain list of fonts it can guarantee most computers will be able to view. If you have a unique collection of fonts, its not gonna make all available because it can't guarantee every computer and open and view those fonts.

Are the fonts not visible in other local programs like Microsoft Word, WordPad or Paint for instance; or is just specific to this web based application you are using?
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Andre.

I can preview the installed fonts in the Windows Fonts folder. I can see that they are set to "show", not "hide".

https://wordmark.it/ is an excellent utility that shows & previews all of the fonts that are actually (and specifically) installed on my PC, but I cannot access any of the fonts through my design apps - specifically: "Inkscape" and "Carbide Create" (my previous Windows 10 PC allowed the apps to access these fonts without any issues)

I'm dead in the water with this PC without this capability right now, and hope it's a simple resolve!

Cheers,

Darren

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Darren

Thanks for the additional information.

Could you describe the version and architecture of Windows 10 installed on the old and new PC?

Which version of Windows 10 is currently installed? See how to verify:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately the old laptop is non-responsive (HW failure), but it was also a Windows 10 Pro-based PC. The specs on the new PC are as follows:

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you check if you are able to access the fonts if you use another web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome?

Could you confirm if this also happens in the default Administrator account?

Open Start
Type: cmd
Right click CMD
Click Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type:
net user administrator /active:yes

Hit Enter

Close command prompt, restart, then try signing into the Administrator account.

The default Administrator password should be blank.

Check if you are still unable to access those fonts.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Sorry this didn't help.

Hunh! 

Firefox fails to display the fonts via Wordmark.it (just the default system fonts), and logging into the default administration mode is the same - they don't show there either (nor do most of my apps - just Inkscape (and nothing other than the default fonts there either))

EDIT: I'm unfamiliar with the workings of Firefox, but once I installed the Adobe Flash plugin, I was able to view all fonts through Wordmark.it

Sorry this didn't help.

This might be an issue introduced in Windows 10 1903. What I would recommend you do is downgrade to Windows 10 1803 and see if it starts working again:

From another working computer, download and make a bootable copy.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2 How to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Review the following guide for instructions and details about configuring your BIOS or UEFI boot settings for DVD, CD, USB or SD Card.

BIOS/UEFI Setup Guide: Boot from a CD, DVD, USB Drive or SD Card
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bios-uefi-setu...

Once your computer is set to boot from the DVD or USB, you should see this option.

The Windows logo will appear on screen, this might be here for a while, as long as you see the indicater, everything should be ok.

Select your Language, Time and Keyboard method then click Next.

Click Install now

Setup will also prompt you to select the edition you have a license for - Home or Pro. Please make sure you choose the right edition. If you choose the wrong edition, your only option will be to perform a clean install again.

The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core should install Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro should install Windows 10 Pro

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHICH EDITION YOUR SYSTEM CAME WITH, CHOOSE WINDOWS 10 HOME.

Wait while Setup starts.

Accept the license terms and click Next

Click Custom

Select the Primary Partition then click Next

You will receive the following warning:

The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows Installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will be able to use your previous version of Windows.

Click OK

Wait while Windows installs

When this phase of setup is complete, Windows will automatically restart and reboot into setup again.

Windows is detecting and installing your hardware. After this is complete, Windows will restart one last time.

Out of Box Experience

The Out of Box Experience page is where you get to configure detailed settings in Windows, which includes creating a user account, privacy, sync PC settings and install modern applications.

Windows will check if there is an active Internet connection. If it does not find one, you will be presented with the following screen.

Create a Local Account and click Next

Wait while Windows finalizes your settings

Continue to wait while Windows installs modern applications.

When setup is complete you can retrieve any personal files from the Windows.old

Browse to C:\ Local Disk and open the Windows.old folder

how to recover your files from Windows.old:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Sorry this didn't help.

Ugh. OK - Thanks, Andre... will give the downgrade a shot.

I appreciate your prompt help/assistance. Cheers! Darren

Sorry this didn't help.

Please let us know how it goes.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, not promising - following the links, the version of the MS Media Creation Tool that I downloaded is named: "Mediacreationtool1903.exe"

There is only a single option to download Win10 (32-bit, 64-bit or both), and no option to download an earlier build... The naming nomenclature of the *.EXE seems to imply I'll be downloading the very same ISO that is currently causing me problems!

I'm in a rural location with metered (not unlimited) bandwidth - I really don't want to go through the hassle of downloading a +/- 8Gb file, only to find that it's useless to me.

Any suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2020 Views 144 Applies to: