Windows 10 file manager working really slowly

The file manager in windows 10 often takes ages to load anything. Loading "my computer " takes the longest time. I tried running sfc/ scannow and it said it was unable to fix some of the corrupt files

I have the log, but it's too long to post here

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I will certainly help you with this issue.

I appreciate if you could answer the below question to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

Did you make any changes to the computer recently?

Method 1:

You may follow the suggestion given by Harshavardhan Rathod on November 11 about a similar issue and check.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/windows-10-file-explorer-very-slow-working-on-it/1710ec88-a944-4fae-9444-1302a483e1a2

Method 2:

If the issue still persists, you may follow the below steps and check.

1. In Windows Explorer, right click the Downloads folder (or any folder you are having issues with), then select Properties.

2. Select the Customize tab

3. From the drop-down menu, optimize this folder for: "General Items".

Method 3:

If it doesn’t solve the issue, Let us try to run the Deployment Image Servicing and Management command (DISM).

It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available.

1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth   

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter. 

Method 4:

I suggest you to place the system in Clean Boot and check.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note 1: The above link also applies to Windows 10.

Note 2: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

I would also recommend you to check latest Windows Updates. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for Updates. If you have any pending updates remaining to install, kindly install them and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well method 1 didn't work, method 2 did (the "my computer" still won't lod but now i can access stuff normally) but the search option still doesn't work so the problem is not resolved. when using method 3, an error popped up. about to use method 4

I just wanted to mention my windows update is stuck at 0% and there's nothing i can do about it

EDIT: i could't find information obout how to perform a clean boot in wondows 10. only windows 7 and 8

Sorry this didn't help.

Still waiting for more support. the problem is not resolved

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jakub,

Thank you for updating us. I apologize for the delayed response. Let me help you.

If SFC scan found the corrupted files and couldn’t fix the issue automatically. I suggest you to go through the below article and refer the section How to manually replace a corrupted system file with a known good copy of the file and check if it resolve the issue.

Click on, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Check if it helps.

For update issue:

I suggest you to run the Windows update troubleshooterand check if the issue updates not getting installed is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance, we will be happy to assist you. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem - Windows 10 File Explorer so slow it seems like it's not even working and then 10 minutes after you've given up it FINALLY opens - it's UNUSABLE. The only work around seems to be to open the program I'm trying to use (MS Word, Excel or whatever) and then open a file within that - but its much less convenient than just using File Explorer properly.  I'm beginning to hate Windows 10 because of this File Explorer problem. Wish I knew how to solve it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2020 Views 3,157 Applies to: