Windows 10 File Explorer gives wrong of Folder size.

Can Microsoft please confirm that there is an issue with Windows 10 File Explorer reporting of Folder size. TreeSizeFree correctly reports one of my folders as 574GB where as File Explorer reports it as 5.4GB. I have the same folder on two separate drives. The property of the same folder was reported correctly by File Explorer before updating windows 10
Hi S1234XU,

Yes, a recent Windows Update introduced a bug into Explorer.

It is having a problem reading the size of a folder which has sub-folders and also reading the free space on your hard drive . . .

This has been reported and hopefully Microsoft are working to resolve this bug

For the moment, TreeSize is an excellent utility to correctly view the size of folders and where space is being used on your hard drive

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I have seen other reports of this error. Apparently MS is aware of it and "working on it". They have not said anything about when a fix is expected.

You can submit a bug report directly to MS using the Feedback Hub. This will "encourage" them to work faster on the problem.

***************** Feedback *****************
Send Bug Reports and Feature Requests (and even Rants <G>) to MS Developers and Managers using the Feedback Hub:
LAUNCHjavascript:; FEEDBACK HUB VIA <WIN><F> Shortcut
“Official” MS does not pay much attention to this forum. However, you now can send your complaints, bug reports and feature requests directly to MS developers and managers using the “Feedback” process described in this link:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
Please post a share link to your feedback, back here, so other people who find your question will be able to vote for it and add their comments to it.
How do I give feedback on Microsoft Office?:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-do...
This is MS "official" documentation with links to appropriate UserVoice and "Answers" forums.
Feedback is a quality control SUPPLEMENT to MS "telemetry" (aka spyware) which MS use to reduce impact of update problems.
<snip https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-how-mi... >
But Microsoft insists its combination of telemetry data and artificial intelligence (AI) actually made this update both "safe and fast", allowing it to identify problems early and block updates to hardware it will cause problems for.
Our AI approach has enabled us to quickly spot issues during deployment of a feature update
We immediately blocked all PCs that could be impacted by this issue from being updated, and communicated to customers within 24 hours, including an initial work around.
</snip>
**************** End Feedback ****************
Save random strangers
Stay Home

Stay COVID Safe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your input DaveM121. I am using TreeSize, and will continue using it, however such an elementary error should be sorted out by Microsoft much quicker. It is a very basic error, and they should at least acknowledge it. When I spoke to their "one of their technical advisers" on chat, they insisted that there is no such issue and offered to fix it by taking control of my PC!!! It is like a politician telling you to trust them😊 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2019 Views 968 Applies to: